[Feature Request] Redirect to custom URL

An iPhone client for Growl available on the App Store.
joule
Harmless

[Feature Request] Redirect to custom URL

Postby joule » Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:06 pm

Hey,
I love the new redirection stuff, but it would be really useful if we could redirect to custom urls. There are 2 ways this could help a lot of users:
1. I usually don't post most of my apps to the appstore because they are only useful to me or really incomplete and not ready to be used by the public. But, I can add a url scheme in there to hook into the urlloading stuff from apple. If I could have custom redirection, I can call my apps from prowl.
2. I am now using google voice/prowl to receive sms from the us (I live in Argentina, so, sms to the states are absurdly expensive, and from there to me too, but I usually interact with american people). It would be GREAT if I could set it up so google voices sms open in safari at http://google.com/voice
Thanks for the hard work

zac
Cocoaforge Admin

Re: [Feature Request] Redirect to custom URL

Postby zac » Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:09 pm

I'll see about adding custom URL things for 1.2.

bzavier
Harmless

Postby bzavier » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:31 am

I have a secondary request on this:

What about messages whose body / title are containing a properly formatted URL ?
(Say I use the API to push a URL via notification).
Could we hope that Prowl, on receiving URL starting with http://, would redirect to Mobile Safari?
(because this is different than redirecting on App Name, and that http is not really an app specific scheme ;-) )

tek
Harmless

Postby tek » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:51 pm

I realise that this a duplicate post but this seems a more appropriate location than 'Launchable Application List Requests' for this message and I can't delete it from there...

While this would likely only be useful for API based notifications, perhaps if/when you add custom URL support, you could support substitutions in your URLs...
e.g.
application -> IRC connections
message -> 'asdf@irc.freenode.net'
URL -> 'irc://asdf@irc.freenode.net'

or

application -> URL Forward
message -> 'google.com'
URL -> 'http://google.com'

or

application -> Mac Counterpart
message -> 'asdftest'
URL -> 'customprotocol://asdftest'

This could be done with codes such as %m for 'message' as found in date fields or draggable sections (as found in Hazel for Mac for example...).
Do you think this is possible and could one day be added? It would be a massive advantage and would allow a whole range of new uses (as well as taking some of the load away from yourselves)...
I hope this is possible and that you get a chance to implement it in the near future...

tofumatt
Harmless

Postby tofumatt » Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:55 am

I'm sort of weary of the implications of provider-supplied URLs (think how easy it would be to send people to spam, etc.), but I can say that I'd be a pretty killer feature for Prey Fetcher (select your iPhone Twitter app on the site and it would setup the redirect for you).

I guess Safari would be the big concern, and maybe custom http(s) URLs could be restricted (entirely or in Prowl's settings).

tek
Harmless

Postby tek » Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:03 pm

tofumatt wrote:I'm sort of weary of the implications of provider-supplied URLs (think how easy it would be to send people to spam, etc.), but I can say that I'd be a pretty killer feature for Prey Fetcher (select your iPhone Twitter app on the site and it would setup the redirect for you).

I guess Safari would be the big concern, and maybe custom http(s) URLs could be restricted (entirely or in Prowl's settings).

I second that but I think it can be worked-around simply by displaying a nice big, red warning message when you first activate custom URLs, warning the user of the possible implications of using untrusted sources...
Alternatively, this could be sectioned off under an 'Advanced' section.

Finally, I would only use it for my own custom prowl notifications (not from Growl) and so I would suggest that it would be fairly safe - especially if the 'Ask before redirect' feature is on!

Hope this helps!
--
Tek

korey_sed
Harmless

Postby korey_sed » Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:31 am

Is there anyway to add support for custom URLs such that it could launch the full screen version?

what I mean is that some urls work best in full screen and you can add them to your home screen from mobile safari. so I want to be able to launch the version that is on my home screen and not see it through safari. This would give web app developers a way to have push notification as well.

Stauf
Harmless

Postby Stauf » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:43 pm

I really want this -- I was a bit disappointed that Prowl couldn't support my Google Apps mail address; and I would really like to redirect to my Transmission Web Interface when I get the notification.

zac
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby zac » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:06 am

Custom URLs for redirection is on the roadmap for the next release, which should be submitted to Apple before Thanksgiving (late Novemberish).

jazzychad
Harmless

Postby jazzychad » Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:52 pm

Awesome! I'm not sure how you are planning on implementing this, but it would be great if the custom URL could be sent in the API as a separate parameter altogether (like "redirectURL" or something). That way, we could put the necessary meta-data into the URL itself and not have to embed it somehow into the actual message.

Example: Say I get a mention on Twitter - "@jazzychad what is your favorite color?" - I push that to Prowl (using TweetHook or something) and see the message. If I could setup the redirect URL to work with Tweetie's protocol scheme, I could put "tweetie://status?id=4440237728" (assuming that 4440237728 was the tweet ID) into the redirectURL parameter, and it would launch to that specific tweet, where I can then take direct action on it. I don't really need to bury that info in the actual message, if that makes sense.

Also, if it is implemented in this way, it would also be handy if in the main History view of Prowl that there was a little icon or something to touch for each message if a redirectURL was set, so that it can be effectively redirected at a later time if I can't pay attention to the notification at the time I receive it.

Thanks for considering! Prowl is still my favorite app by far.

zac
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby zac » Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:06 pm

Being able to specify a target URL in the API is in my planned list of features for the next release.

AssetBurned
Muffin

Postby AssetBurned » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:45 am

Just for the records, I would also like to see a function to open a custom URL in Safari, if you receive a notification.

Actually I wrote a web interface for the Adium chat (Adium2WebAndBack) and this would be a perfect way to forward a user to the corresponding page.

aahndee
Harmless

Postby aahndee » Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:22 pm

Seeing that Thanksgiving has been a while ago already - is this enhancement still planned for the next release? And, any rough timeline on when that might be?

zac
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby zac » Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:32 am

Yes, it's planned for the next release. The last target date was a mistake to try and commit to, for me.

fruityth1ng
Harmless

Postby fruityth1ng » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:01 pm

How's this feature coming along? - I specifically bought prowl for this feature :)

zac
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby zac » Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:09 pm

Serverside implementation is roughly complete, client-side implementation is a few days of work to complete. Will be included in the next release, which is about halfway done.

fruityth1ng
Harmless

Postby fruityth1ng » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:34 pm

*hug* :)

zac
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby zac » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:42 am

Next release has been submitted to the app store, and adds support for custom URLs in redirections and through the API.

Return to “Prowl”