Quiet Times and travel between timezones

An iPhone client for Growl available on the App Store.
scottmc
Harmless

Quiet Times and travel between timezones

Postby scottmc » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:42 pm

My Verizon iPhone normally lives in US/Pacific time. Over the holidays I traveled to US/Central. Once the plane landed and I turned the phone back on, it picked up the local time correctly, i.e. I didn't have to change the timezone settings. I've never really thought about this before, and I didn't think to go and see what timezone was listed in the phone's settings.

I noticed that Prowl was allowing notifications through during my quiet times so I went and checked the settings in the app. I expected them to be 10pm to 6am, but to my surprise they were 12am to 8am. In other words, the quiet times settings were shifted two hours relative to local time, but were keeping the same window relative to my "home" timezone.

While this makes some kind of weird sense, it isn't what I would expect. I set the quiet times for when I anticipate being asleep, and this generally follows local time, not what time it is in California.

Bug? Feature? Part of iOS? Is there a workaround? I assume that if I set the timezone correctly it would have resolved the problem, but again I didn't think about this until I was back home.

Return to “Prowl”