Prowl Architecture

An iPhone client for Growl available on the App Store.
boomkap
Harmless

Prowl Architecture

Postby boomkap » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:42 am

I installed prowl on my iPhone. I am able to send notifications to Prowl via the HTTP service. My questions is, if users install Prowl on their devices, can App's send prowl notifications even though they do not install Growl Prowl plugin? I am assuming they can but won't get notifications from Growl but will receive notifications from apps that use the HTTP service.

I would love to be able to send notifications via HTTP to Growl. However the Growl architecture is limiting in this regard and does not support a HTTP POST kind of service. It relies on the GNTP protocol which is meant for applications on the same network/machine as Growl to send notifications.
Does anyone know of a Growl plugin that will receive notifications via a HTTP service?

zac
Cocoaforge Admin

Re: Prowl Architecture

Postby zac » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:35 pm

Right now, there is no way to receive prowl notifications on a device other than an iOS device running the Prowl application. A goal of mine sometime in the future is to include a desktop client for Mac which can pump notifications to desktop users.

The Growl plugin is not required to receive notifications via the api, it is only required to receive the notifications in Growl.

Return to “Prowl”