Growl .6

The Growl forums have moved to Google Groups, this forum is read only.
The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Growl .6

Postby The_Tick » Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:54 am

Growl .6 is released.

See http://growl.info/ for more information.
Last edited by The_Tick on Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheSilverFox06
Grandé

Postby TheSilverFox06 » Mon Feb 28, 2005 2:32 pm

Is this included in the current Adium SVN, just like the beta was?

skimpson
Muffin

Postby skimpson » Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:19 pm

why do stickies only work with some display views and not others?? i have only found it to work with Smoke so far

evands
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby evands » Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:23 pm

TheSilverFox06 wrote:Is this included in the current Adium SVN, just like the beta was?

Yes, but because there's no version number difference, Adium SVN will not perform an automatic upgrade (from .6svn to .6), so you'll probably want to install the official package. Newcomers to Growl via Adium .8 will be getting the the released version.
The duck still burns.
--
My company: Saltatory Software. Check it out :)

The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby The_Tick » Mon Feb 28, 2005 5:32 pm

skimpson wrote:why do stickies only work with some display views and not others?? i have only found it to work with Smoke so far

It only works with smoke and bubbles. Music video and bezel are more of queue type displays.

skimpson
Muffin

Postby skimpson » Mon Feb 28, 2005 5:58 pm

oh ok...at least its not a bug :wink:

::EDIT:: i also have a question as to why there are two "bubbles" options in the pull down menu??

The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby The_Tick » Mon Feb 28, 2005 7:53 pm

skimpson wrote:oh ok...at least its not a bug :wink:

::EDIT:: i also have a question as to why there are two "bubbles" options in the pull down menu??

BUBBLES! shipped with Growl .5

Bubbles is shipping with .6. The problem is they have different names, so the PKG installer couldn't overwrite it. *shrug*

djmori
Mocha

Postby djmori » Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:55 pm

Great!! :lol:

mike3k
Harmless

Postby mike3k » Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:13 pm

How can I get rid of the old BUBBLES? I checked the growl folder and there are NO plugins, and I couldn't find it anywhere else.

sdh
Frappa

Postby sdh » Tue Mar 01, 2005 2:19 am

growl is the best!
i use smoke style notification.
but it would be cool if it were possible to decide the icon-size of contacts.

capacity
Muffin

Postby capacity » Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:06 pm

When updating to Growl 0.61 I noticed that the installer doesn't ask for an administrator's name and password as almost all other installers do. I believe this also happened with 0.6. Is this the desired behavior?

The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby The_Tick » Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:56 pm

capacity wrote:When updating to Growl 0.61 I noticed that the installer doesn't ask for an administrator's name and password as almost all other installers do. I believe this also happened with 0.6. Is this the desired behavior?

It will ask if it needs it. It's the way iceberg works as far as I know.

Chris Biagini
Muffin

Postby Chris Biagini » Thu Mar 03, 2005 3:24 am

If I may be so bold, what is the reasoning for making registration required for AppleScripts? Having the option is nice since it allows you to make changes easily through the prefpane, but it seems like a hassle to register for quick or temporary scripts.

Also, when I try to fix my old scripts, they refuse to compile. Even the sample script you provide doesn't compile on my system--GrowlHelperApp doesn't seem to be recognizing the "register" command, but it won't let me post a notification without it.

I'm pretty sure this snippet uses the proper syntax, and it causes the same problems I'm having with my other scripts:

Code: Select all

tell application "GrowlHelperApp"
register as application "foo" all notifications {"bar"} default notifications {"baz"}
end tell

Attempting to compile that on my machine highlights the first quote mark on the second line, and gives the error: "Expected end of line but found “."

Thanks for any advice you have, and I apologize in advance if I'm being obtuse :) The new message styles are great, by the way!

cormullion
Harmless

Postby cormullion » Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:23 pm

Your code works fine for me, and puts the 'foo' application into the Growl preference pane. I'd try an uninstall and re-install.

Diggory
Growl Team

Postby Diggory » Thu Mar 03, 2005 12:42 pm

Copying code from Safari into ScriptEditor sometimes goes bad - try replacing the carriage returns in the line in question by hand.

nicksay
Harmless

Getting rid of of the old BUBBLES

Postby nicksay » Sun Apr 17, 2005 1:50 am

mike3k wrote:How can I get rid of the old BUBBLES? I checked the growl folder and there are NO plugins, and I couldn't find it anywhere else.

The growl view styles are located here:

Code: Select all

/Library/PreferencePanes/Growl.prefPane/Contents/Resources/GrowlHelperApp.app/Contents/PlugIns/

I stopped growl, quit System Preferences, deleted the file BubblesNotificationView.growlView, restarted System Preferences, and the old BUBBLES was gone.

bkemper
Harmless

Postby bkemper » Wed Apr 20, 2005 5:06 pm

The_Tick wrote:
skimpson wrote:why do stickies only work with some display views and not others?? i have only found it to work with Smoke so far

It only works with smoke and bubbles. Music video and bezel are more of queue type displays.

It still seems like a bug to me. If sticky is not allowed in music video or bevel, then this should be indicated. Otherwise people like me waste a lot of time trying to figure out why it isn't working, before deducing that there are certain Display Styles it doesn't work with. Check boxes or selections should be dimmed if they are not allowed.

Better yet, why not just allow the stickiness for all display styles? It would keep things a lot simpler. You could always have a checkbox in "Display Options" for "Allow Stickiness" or something (if the author wants to have a default value there). If it wasn't checked, then you would not in turn be allowed to check the "Sticky" box in the "Applications" pane.

evands
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby evands » Wed Apr 20, 2005 5:11 pm

If the notification can not be clicked, and is sticky, it can not be dismissed... so a notification like music video, which rightfully allows the mouse clicks to go straight through it, by definition can't be sticky.

Where are you talking about when you recommend that the sticky preference be dimmed?
The duck still burns.

--

My company: Saltatory Software. Check it out :)

spyder1959
Harmless

bubbles size

Postby spyder1959 » Wed May 04, 2005 3:18 am

On my "Bubbles" when i use it in adium for simple "buddy went offline" each bubble is much bigger than it needs to be and is much bigger than it was when i used "BUBBLES!" is there any way to fix this or perhaps redownload "BUBBLES!"?

The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Re: bubbles size

Postby The_Tick » Wed May 04, 2005 3:24 am

spyder1959 wrote:On my "Bubbles" when i use it in adium for simple "buddy went offline" each bubble is much bigger than it needs to be and is much bigger than it was when i used "BUBBLES!" is there any way to fix this or perhaps redownload "BUBBLES!"?

That will be fixed in .7 :)

Return to “Growl”