Some Applications not appearing in Growl

The Growl forums have moved to Google Groups, this forum is read only.
'k:-/
Harmless

Some Applications not appearing in Growl

Post by 'k:-/ »

Hi,

Does anybody have any sugestions why some applications are not appearing in the Growl pref pane - eg Cyberduck, Quicksilver (although Growl is selectable as a helper app in Quicksilver..)? This is the first time I've installed Growl, and is the .6 release. Not even restarting the computer has conviced them to appear. No problem with Adium. Strange, and I couldn't see an answer on the forum - although I did notice another mention of Cyberduck not registering in Growl. Suggestions of what to try to make it work would be appreciated. Growl looks so shiny it'd be nice to get it working... thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Regards,

Bosk
Frappa

Post by Bosk »

you must launch the apps in question while growl is running for them to register with growl. thenceforth they will appear in the growl prefpane. for more info on this check out the "How Registration Works" file that is on the growl 0.6 dmg
Harmless

Had read the How registration works document

Hi,

perhaps I was unclear. Had read the how registration works document, but still unable to get apps to appear as expected. Hence asking the question. I have got Adium working, but can't see anything I need to do to make Cyberduck work. Likewise with Quicksilver (As I said Quicksilver is listing Growl as a Helper, yet Quicksilver is not appearing in the Growl app panel). It is because Apps are not appearing after being relauched that I was wondering if anyone had an answer to what might make them appear.

Guess I'll continue trying to figure this out.

Regards,

'K:-/
Diggory
Growl Team

Post by Diggory »

You may need the Growl plug-in for QS.

Is your copy of cyberduck up to date?
waynedl
Harmless

Quicksilver & Growl

Post by waynedl »

If he did not have the QS Growl plugin installed, QS would not allow him to select Growl as a Helper application.

I am having the same exact problem. Growl is not working for Quicksilver. It is working for Mail. It is working for GrowlDict. It will NOT appear in the registered applications in the preference pane.

Does anyone have any advice? I have read every ReadMe that I could find. I have performed every tweak on QS that I could think of--deleting the QS Growl plugin, reinstalling it, changing app options (stable, beta, etc.), running as background app.

I should add that I am running Growl 0.6.1.

Edit: After looking at related comments at the QS forum I think the QS Growl plugin may need to be updated.[/url]
The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Post by The_Tick »

Regarding quicksilver:

http://forums.cocoaforge.com/viewtopic.php?t=1134

Regarding cyberduck, it works fine for me. What version of cyberduck are you using?
waynedl
Harmless

Quicksilver now registered!

Post by waynedl »

Deleting the plists didn't change anything for me. What I realized, however, was that since installing Growl I hadn't actually used QS for anything that would generate a cause for notification. So I started up iTunes via QS (and switched on the notify option) and instantaneously got a notification of the current track--when I checked Growl prefs again QS was there with both Quicksilver Notification and iTunes Notification enabled. Just had to jump start it, I guess. Create a registerable instance, if you will.
The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Re: Quicksilver now registered!

Post by The_Tick »

waynedl wrote:Deleting the plists didn't change anything for me. What I realized, however, was that since installing Growl I hadn't actually used QS for anything that would generate a cause for notification. So I started up iTunes via QS (and switched on the notify option) and instantaneously got a notification of the current track--when I checked Growl prefs again QS was there with both Quicksilver Notification and iTunes Notification enabled. Just had to jump start it, I guess. Create a registerable instance, if you will.

haha, awesome :D
Harmless

Quicksilver now working

:-) ,the jump starting Quicksilver approach to make it work, works. Cyberduck is Version 2.4b4 (03/02/2005 04:40 PM) (v2.4b4) -- perhaps something similar will work for it.

Regards,

Harmless

Sorted now

Excellent, all sorted.

Thanks to waynedl for the answer. Seems it is necessary for the app to create a notification before it will appear in Growl. Cyberduck now working.

Regards,

beamer908
Harmless

Post by beamer908 »

Along these same lines, what other QS notifications are there? I finally got it display which track I just put on. But what other notifications does QS have that would go through GROWL?

~B
Diggory
Growl Team

Post by Diggory »

QS notifies if you use it to switch Network Locations.

I think it notifies of plugin one-click installation too - but not 100% sure.
beamer908
Harmless

Post by beamer908 »

Cool, how do you get it to switch network locations? That's always such a pain in the a** to go into the network preference.

I LOVE QUICKSILVER
zaudragon
Growl Team

Post by zaudragon »

beamer908 wrote:Cool, how do you get it to switch network locations? That's always such a pain in the a** to go into the network preference.

I LOVE QUICKSILVER

How about the Apple menu -> Locations?
Blog | X(tras)
Communists code without classes.
Diggory
Growl Team

Post by Diggory »

http://quicksilver.blacktree.com/plugins.php

There's a network locations plugin there.
letthereberock
Harmless

Post by letthereberock »

what is "jump starting"?
Here we go again!
Diggory
Growl Team

Post by Diggory »

I think by jump-starting they mean causing an event that triggers a notification - e.g. by changing the tune in itunes, changing network location etc...
waynedl
Harmless

Post by waynedl »

precisely
mrhooks
Harmless

Post by mrhooks »

Saft 8.0.2 (for Safari 2.0 in Tiger) isn't registering with Growl 0.7 - is there something I need to do that I haven't, like install SIMBL?