HardwareGrowler filling console.log

The Growl forums have moved to Google Groups, this forum is read only.
FredB
Harmless

HardwareGrowler filling console.log

Postby FredB » Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:55 pm

Hi,

As this is my first post here, let me tell you Growl is a thing of beauty and it's one of first thing I install when setting up a Mac. Same for HardwareGrowler.

The problem I have is that HardwareGrowler logs every notifications (including the icons AFAICT), to console.log. This makes console.log useless for anything else as it's hard to spot useful messages between those notifications.

Here is a example of one message, it's 272Kb for just one notification!

Am I missing something? Is there any way to stop it?

Thanks.

--
FredB

mattp
Harmless

Postby mattp » Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:54 pm

To log or not log is a feature of Growl itself. From the Growl prefs pane you can tell it to log to some file other than console.log if you need logging, but don't want it interfering with the rest of your system logging.

FredB
Harmless

Postby FredB » Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:08 pm

Thanks for answering.

I should have mentionned that "enable logging" is NOT checked in Growl's PrefPane. As a workaround, I tried to enable logging to another file. It works (logging much shorter messages BTW) but the long messages are still written to console.log

Does your answer means I'm the only one having those message in console.log?

mattp
Harmless

Postby mattp » Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:22 pm

FredB wrote:I should have mentionned that "enable logging" is NOT checked in Growl's PrefPane.

Hrm.. then that sounds like a bug to me. I'm just another user like you though, so I can't say with certainty that's not the intended behaviour. Hopefully someone who can say one way or the other will reply.

FredB
Harmless

Postby FredB » Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:25 pm

mattp wrote:
Hrm.. then that sounds like a bug to me. I'm just another user like you though, so I can't say with certainty that's not the intended behaviour. Hopefully someone who can say one way or the other will reply.

Yep. Thanks for your time.

Meanwhile, I found a workaround:

I enabled logging to console.log, then I get short messages (one line) instead of the monsters I had before. Which means enabling logging = less logging. ;)

Good workaround for me, I still wonder if I should get the big ones in the first place or not.

FredB
Harmless

Postby FredB » Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:39 pm

Mm, I talked to soon. I still have the big messages, but not on every notification, in fact.

Looks like I get those preceded by:

GrowlHelperApp[302] Exception while forwarding dictionary with selector postNotificationWithDictionary: (description of dictionary follows): [NSPortCoder sendBeforeTime:sendReplyPort:] timed out

Any help appreciated.

Diggory
Growl Team

Postby Diggory » Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:41 pm

Those logs aren't expected behaviour of HWGrowler - they are in fact Growl logging an error when trying to forward a notification over the network to a specific remote machine - and failing to reach it in time.

Code: Select all

2007-03-08 15:33:13.709 GrowlHelperApp[258] Exception while forwarding dictionary with selector postNotificationWithDictionary: (description of dictionary follows): [NSPortCoder sendBeforeTime:sendReplyPort:] timed out

Are you forwarding notifications to a machine that's asleep?

FredB
Harmless

Postby FredB » Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:07 pm

Diggory wrote:Are you forwarding notifications to a machine that's asleep?

You nailed it!

Fixed. Thanks a lot.

Return to “Growl”