interesting in macyac

The Growl forums have moved to Google Groups, this forum is read only.
The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby The_Tick » Mon Jul 04, 2005 5:49 pm

Ok, here's how networking works in general.

Anything behind the router doesn't need port forwarding. If you had a router with the windows box on the outside, and the mac on the inside, then you would need to port forward.

I don't think macyac is running, how are you executing it on the mac?

stormy_al
Harmless

Postby stormy_al » Mon Jul 04, 2005 7:35 pm

i got the binary from the growl downloads page, put it in /usr/local/bin, and tried executing in terminal with both "macyac" and "macyac -p 10629" to no avail. checked the activity monitor and it's running, but if i send a test call (or a real call for that matter) from the yac server to the listeners, i never get a growl notification. is there something different i need to do to run it?

The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby The_Tick » Mon Jul 04, 2005 7:41 pm

Try telnetting to localhost with the correct port.

The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby The_Tick » Mon Jul 04, 2005 7:48 pm

Is there any way you could hop on irc in a bit?

stormy_al
Harmless

Postby stormy_al » Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:10 pm

sure thing. thanks for bearing with me.

smw
Harmless

Postby smw » Wed Nov 23, 2005 4:24 am

Was there ever a solution to this? I'm having the identical problem. Firewall's not a problem and I know it works, because I have a listener on my TiVO that's getting the yac notifications.

Thanks,
-Steve

John Don
Frappa

Postby John Don » Sat Nov 26, 2005 6:18 pm

I know this is branching off from what is needing to get accomplished here in particular to macyac, but have you tried Silica? It is very easy to get configured on my PowerBook, and does the job.

http://homepage.mac.com/gweston/silica/
I'm... kinda tired... I think I'll go home now.

-Forrest Gump

I'm an Adiumite!

smw
Harmless

Postby smw » Sat Nov 26, 2005 9:30 pm

That would be great, except that because I'm using Yac for my TiVo I also wanted to use it to send to the OSX box as well as a linux and Windoze box. Doesn't appear Silica does that, which means it's worthless to me.

Thanks, though!

bburky
Latté

Postby bburky » Sat Nov 26, 2005 10:22 pm

Haven't tried Silica yet. Just downloaded it. Too bad it doesn't use Growl. But… it looks like it can call an AppleScript when a call comes through. And AppleScript works with Growl. So if this works (haven't had any luck with other caller id apps myself) I'll try my hand at an AppleScript.

EDIT: Never mind all that. There's a radio checkbox for Growl. Told you I hadn't really tried it!

smw
Harmless

Postby smw » Sat Nov 26, 2005 10:25 pm

I'd still like to know if the original poster ever managed to get it working.

John Don
Frappa

Postby John Don » Sun Nov 27, 2005 4:49 am

bburky wrote:Haven't tried Silica yet. Just downloaded it. Too bad it doesn't use Growl. But… it looks like it can call an AppleScript when a call comes through. And AppleScript works with Growl. So if this works (haven't had any luck with other caller id apps myself) I'll try my hand at an AppleScript.

EDIT: Never mind all that. There's a radio checkbox for Growl. Told you I hadn't really tried it!

Haha, you didn't think I'd find you something that difficult, did you? I love Silica because its the first caller ID application I've found for Mac that is easy to install and set-up. Makes you wonder why the other ones can't be this simple... and you have to love the integrated Growl support as well! :D

-Forrest Gump

I'm an Adiumite!

bburky
Latté

Postby bburky » Sun Nov 27, 2005 8:30 pm

Silica still didn't work for me. I'm convinced my modem isn't CallerID compatible. IT looked like it was on the list of compatible ones but it didn't work. It'll tell me when the phone rings, but that's pretty useless. Oh well.

John Don
Frappa

Postby John Don » Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:29 am

bburky wrote:Silica still didn't work for me. I'm convinced my modem isn't CallerID compatible.

Must not be. Well at least you know its not Silica's fault. 8)

-Forrest Gump

I'm an Adiumite!

smajor
Latté

Postby smajor » Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:17 pm

Is the macyac source still around and working in the latest Growl?

I recently built a Windows based PVR/Media Center and I have Yac running on it (it overlays whatever you're watching with Caller ID info via a plug in.)

The bonus is I can now use macyac on our Macs! Whoohoo!

I realize it was a proof of concept, but these little things are great.

The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby The_Tick » Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:17 pm

It's in the files directory on the Growl website, you'd be able to download it there.

The problem I had with it is that nobody was maintaining it, and the people who wanted to use it usually needed some kind of gui. If someone were to give macyac a gui, I'd be all for readding it to the fold and actually shipping it with the main Growl distribution.

As of right now though, we are no longer offering it as an official download (but it is still around)

smajor
Latté

Postby smajor » Sat Mar 04, 2006 2:01 pm

The_Tick wrote:It's in the files directory on the Growl website, you'd be able to download it there.

The problem I had with it is that nobody was maintaining it, and the people who wanted to use it usually needed some kind of gui. If someone were to give macyac a gui, I'd be all for readding it to the fold and actually shipping it with the main Growl distribution.

As of right now though, we are no longer offering it as an official download (but it is still around)

Thanks, it still works great!

The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby The_Tick » Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:03 pm

Ya, it's just really hard to ship something saying "you need this and this and this and oh this and this and this and that" without it confusing users.

smajor
Latté

Postby smajor » Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:12 pm

The_Tick wrote:Ya, it's just really hard to ship something saying "you need this and this and this and oh this and this and this and that" without it confusing users.

I agree. I hope someone picks it up as it's pretty damn handy. I would, but I can't program a lick.

KevinB
Harmless

Postby KevinB » Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:42 pm

So is the macyac client still available. I have yac running on my PC but I spend 90% of my day looking at my Mac. I looked at the download page, but didn't see anything to download (a compilled version would be nice).

Thanks much and I too hope someone picks this up. It's hard to believe that you can get a yac client for tivo but not for mac.

Kevin

Diggory
Growl Team

Postby Diggory » Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:54 pm

Return to “Growl”