Core Image

The Growl forums have moved to Google Groups, this forum is read only.
df0notfound
Latté

Core Image

Postby df0notfound » Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:25 am

How about some core image effects, flips, blurs, ripples etc on incoming growls?

The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby The_Tick » Sun Sep 09, 2007 4:00 am

I'm not really sure how to do that without pissing everyone off.

yelly
Crema

Postby yelly » Sun Sep 09, 2007 4:07 am

Wasn't this discussed a while back? I remember the conclusion being along the lines of "that could be pretty cool for super-high-level notifications" (didn't someone make a mockup video as well?)

bgannin
Growl Team

Postby bgannin » Sun Sep 09, 2007 4:12 am

It's certainly technically possible, it's the level of intrusion that needs mitigation. Ripple effect works well in Dashboard because its a seldom seen event, so it feels nice to do so. If you saw it 20 times a day you would likely grow tired of it.
Try my software!

#define ADIUMX pimp //by me
#define QUESTION ((2b) || (!2b))
Have you hugged a programmer today?

zerock
Crema

Postby zerock » Sun Sep 09, 2007 4:54 am

bgannin wrote:It's certainly technically possible, it's the level of intrusion that needs mitigation. Ripple effect works well in Dashboard because its a seldom seen event, so it feels nice to do so. If you saw it 20 times a day you would likely grow tired of it.

I Agree

Sean
Latté

Postby Sean » Sun Sep 09, 2007 7:26 am

See the iChat Leopard demonstration video for an example of a subtle and very pleasing to the eye Core Animation transition: http://www.apple.com/macosx/leopard/features/ichat.html (go through the frames using the arrow keys so you can see it slowly).

That'd work really well as a Growl notification IMO.

smajor
Latté

Postby smajor » Sun Sep 09, 2007 8:47 am

If possible, a mini cube effect for multiple growl notifications would be... slick.

I wouldn't mind a subtle ripple effect, I'd probably only use it for notifications I don't see often, not for something like, oh say Adium/Chax notifications that are happening several times a minute for me.

df0notfound
Latté

Postby df0notfound » Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:32 am

Well I think it goes without saying I meant something subtle rather than Dashboards level of ripple. Just a very slight one to bring a little more movement to those of us with huge screens.

Or notifications rapidly blurring in instead of opacity, just a really quick come into focus blur.

Quicksilvers built in notifications do a cube transition when they stack up

bgannin
Growl Team

Postby bgannin » Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:55 am

The more overt the transition (cube, ripple, copy machine, etc.) the more jarring it is, which defeats the concept of Growl (providing information with minimal disruption.)
Try my software!

df0notfound
Latté

Postby df0notfound » Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:15 pm

bgannin
Growl Team

Postby bgannin » Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:40 pm

df0notfound wrote:I did a mockup

Not bad. Needs to be a bit longer (it's a bit abrupt) and use a more gradual (perhaps EaseIn) curve.
Try my software!

smajor
Latté

Postby smajor » Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:11 pm

Out of curiosity (since mine is now piqued), is this possible "now" or would additional back-end code be needed for Growl in a future release?

I'll both agree AND disagree with the notion of minimal interruption.

At work at have a 24" display and I like my notifications in the traditional "upper right" location, but I admit as my displays have become larger, I wouldn't mind a ripple, flip, cube - whatever, in the corner when some even happens that is important.

To me at least, nothing about the above is a drastic interruption when compared to bouncing dock icons (with beeps in some cases! :mad:) or a window that comes to front when a task is complete.

bgannin
Growl Team

Postby bgannin » Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:49 pm

smajor wrote:Out of curiosity (since mine is now piqued), is this possible "now" or would additional back-end code be needed for Growl in a future release?

There's no checkbox to enable, no. It would require code to make such functionality. There is animation support both in the OS and in Growl already, but the work still would need to be done.
Try my software!

Return to “Growl”