Notifications on a specific screen?

The Growl forums have moved to Google Groups, this forum is read only.
Ward
Harmless

Notifications on a specific screen?

Postby Ward » Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:37 pm

When I was running with two monitors (menu bar on the left monitor), notifications appeared in the upper right corner of the right monitor. That was fine; so I never experimented with changing the notification corner.

I've added a third monitor (menu bar now on the middle monitor). Notifications are now appearing on the left monitor. When I change the notification corner, I'm limited to the left monitor. There appears to be no way to select another monitor.

Short of adding explicit multi-monitor support, it would be nice if Growl's corner preference applied to the muti-screen arrangement, e.g., upper-left on the left monitor, upper-right on the right monitor, etc. I realize non-rectangular monitor arrangements might get tricky.

Another possible way to specify a notification location preference would be to put up a sample notification and allow the user to drag it to the desired location. (I tried that in Preferences, but the moment I moused down on the notification bubble, it disappeared.)

bgannin
Growl Team

Postby bgannin » Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:51 pm

Each display can be associated with a screen IIRC.
Try my software!

#define ADIUMX pimp //by me
#define QUESTION ((2b) || (!2b))
Have you hugged a programmer today?

bgannin
Growl Team

Postby bgannin » Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:37 am

Ward asked privately for more clarification to be posted for this in the thread.

In the Display Options tab each display has options. One of these is Screen, which includes a combo box (text field + popup menu) with a number in it. 0 is the main screen, each number higher than that each additional display. By typing in the number of the monitor (it can be a bit of trial and error, this is not the optimal UI, its what exists there now) that display style will be associated with that display and appear there. I can't speak to whether positioning takes this fully into account or not, but multi-monitor support is already in Growl, just in a rudimentary form.
Try my software!

Ward
Harmless

Screen choice in Display Option does the trick

Postby Ward » Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:01 am

Thanks for identifying the Screen choice in the Display Options tab.

Bouncing back-n-forth between the General and Display Options tabs allowed me to try my Bubbles notification in any corner of any monitor. (At the moment, I've chosen the upper-right corner of the main/center monitor. I'm also going to try the upper-left corner of the right monitor.)

Suggestion: It seems to me the notifications corner choice belongs in the Display Options tab. A smaller "corners" graphic would fit in the space to the right of the Text/Background matrix.

bgannin
Growl Team

Postby bgannin » Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:20 am

As I noted, it's not an optimal UI. The entire Display Options tab needs to be redone, but time is a luxury commodity.
Try my software!

Return to “Growl”