Network notifications

The Growl forums have moved to Google Groups, this forum is read only.
jowie
Harmless

Network notifications

Postby jowie » Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:01 am

Hi there,

Again apologies for covering old ground... However I've looked through a lot of the forum threads on similar subjects, but have still yet to find a way to get this to work.

I want to send my growl messages from my server (G4) to the MacBook. Growl 1.1.2 is on the G4, 1.1.3 is on the MacBook. I have set the G4 to Forward, found the MacBook and kept it without a password. On the MacBook I have ticked "Listen" only. Before I ticked "Allow remote application registration" also. I have even tried a two-way connection until someone pointed out that could cause an infinite loop, so I switched it off. I have also previously tried both computers with a password setting.

I have restarted both machines since, and all the settings seem to be correct. However I still cannot seem to get the messages to be sent. Is there anything I am doing wrong? Firewalls are disabled and Little Snitch on the G4 is set to allow all internal ports...

Thanks! :)

:-Joe

jfro
Harmless

Postby jfro » Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:26 am

I'm also wondering what gives, I have a similar setup with no success in having growls actually forwarded to my MacBook pro.

soundsgoodtome
Latté

Re: Network notifications

Postby soundsgoodtome » Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:58 pm

Same deal, here -- and a similar setup: Growl 1.1.3 on both a MacBook Pro/Leopard and a G5 Tower/Tiger. (The G5 *was* running 1.1.2, but after notifications weren't working, I upgraded to 1.1.3, hoping it would help -- but it did not.) The MBP is set to forward, and the G5 is set to listen.

Last week, I did receive one notification on the G5, so I thought all was well. But since then, I've seen none. Both machines are often in the same room, so when I'm at the MBP, and I see a notification there, I can look over at the other machine and verify that the notifications are not being echoed.

A year ago, with previous versions of growl (and with Tiger on both machines), the forwarding worked flawlessly. So this loss of functionality is frustrating, to say the least.

jfro
Harmless

Postby jfro » Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:02 pm

I got a notification, just one so far, yesterday. I don't think I've gotten anymore than that single notification though.

bgannin
Growl Team

Postby bgannin » Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:42 am

soundsgoodtome wrote:A year ago, with previous versions of growl (and with Tiger on both machines), the forwarding worked flawlessly. So this loss of functionality is frustrating, to say the least.

I find this interesting as no changes have been made to networking in 1.1+ to my knowledge.
Try my software!

#define ADIUMX pimp //by me
#define QUESTION ((2b) || (!2b))
Have you hugged a programmer today?

Elijahg0
Harmless

Postby Elijahg0 » Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:17 pm

I get the same problem, none of my Macs will forward or receive messages.

I get the following error every in the console every time Growl starts:

Code: Select all

04/04/2008 13:32:20 GrowlHelperApp[182] WARNING: could not register Growl server.

Others have posted about this error, but no-one seems to know what's wrong. I get this error on all my Macs running Growl.

rboswell
Harmless

Postby rboswell » Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:34 pm

Elijahg0 wrote:I get the same problem, none of my Macs will forward or receive messages.

I get the following error every in the console every time Growl starts:

Code: Select all

04/04/2008 13:32:20 GrowlHelperApp[182] WARNING: could not register Growl server.

Others have posted about this error, but no-one seems to know what's wrong. I get this error on all my Macs running Growl.

I was having the same problems as you, but I think I found out how to make it work, at least for me.
First of all my main machine is an iMac (sending notifications) and my secondary one is an iBook (receiving notifications), I have Growl 1.1.2 running on both machines.

On my iBook I set it to listen for incoming notifications and then on my iMac I have it set to forward notifications and I checked my iBook in the list (I also have a password set for remote app registration, not sure if this affects it at all though). After that nothing seemed to work, so I stopped Growl on both machines and started them again, and I started getting notifications from Adium sent to my iBook and they displayed properly, but Twitterrific's notifications were acting a little strange, they would show up on my iMac and get logged in the Console on my iBook, but no actual notification would appear on my iBook. So, I quit Twitterrific and when I relaunched it the notifications worked perfectly.

maverick808
Harmless

Postby maverick808 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:12 pm

Same here. Have 4 machines and can't get growl to send messages between any combination of them. Console shows the same 'could not register Growl server' message.

game0ver
Harmless

Postby game0ver » Sat May 31, 2008 4:45 pm

I seem to have this very problem.
GrowlHelperApp[86649] WARNING: could not register Growl server.

Can't start the growl server because there appears to be a server already running (probably growl, nmap couldn't identify it), and I also get no notifications so if it *is* a growlserver which for some reason wasn't killed properly, it certainly isn't working as such.

mini-2:~ tv$ sudo nmap -v -O macbook.local -p 23052

Starting Nmap 4.62 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2008-05-31 17:36 BST
Initiating ARP Ping Scan at 17:36
Scanning 192.168.0.115 [1 port]
Discovered open port 23052/tcp on 192.168.0.115
Interesting ports on 192.168.0.115:
PORT STATE SERVICE
23052/tcp open unknown
MAC Address: 00:1E:52:73:C5:29 (Apple)
Warning: OSScan results may be unreliable because we could not find at least 1 open and 1 closed port
Device type: general purpose
Running: Apple Mac OS X 10.5.X

A few months have gone on this board, which might mean everyone else has solved this problem, in which case, how did you do it?

:)

rboswell
Harmless

Postby rboswell » Sat May 31, 2008 7:18 pm

I still haven't gotten it to work right, it seemed to work for a while after I did the procedure I talked about a couple posts up, but everytime I restarted one of the two computers, it would stop working and I'd have to go through that process again, and sometimes it didn't work, so I've just about given up on it for now until someone who has more time and experience with this kind of thing than I can figure something out.

soundsgoodtome
Latté

Postby soundsgoodtome » Sat May 31, 2008 9:54 pm

game0ver wrote:A few months have gone [by...], which might mean everyone else has solved this problem, in which case, how did you do it?

I gave up.

game0ver
Harmless

Postby game0ver » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:56 am

Think I'll have to give up too. So many releases and no improvement on an out-of-the-box macbook pro.

Shame. It used to be the coolest thing about my home network.

l8r

Ephilei
Harmless

Postby Ephilei » Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:52 am

Probably a different issue, but I've found it only works for me with the client having a static IP.

pomares@mac.com
Harmless

Postby pomares@mac.com » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:14 pm

For me, solving the problem was making sure the passwords matched between the notifier and notified. It's not exactly self-explanatory, but next to the name of the machine on the network that is selected to receive notifications, there is a space to enter a password. It should be the same one that was registered on the machine receiving the notifications under the "Allow remote registration" section.

I hope this makes sense. I was getting the same console error with Server cannot get registered.

evands
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby evands » Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:42 pm

I've just fixed a major bug with the networking implementation that meant that the only way it worked was if (a) you assigned the receiving side a static IP and (b) that static IP was the first IP Growl had ever seen for that computer.

The next version of Growl will properly resolve computer names to IP addresses via Bonjour.

This, at least, was why my home network hasn't had working network Growl in a very, very long time. I now get magical Growl notifications from my iTunes / bittorrent / build-box machine to my laptop :)
The duck still burns.
--
My company: Saltatory Software. Check it out :)

soundsgoodtome
Latté

Postby soundsgoodtome » Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:21 pm

evands wrote:The next version of Growl will properly resolve computer names to IP addresses via Bonjour.

This, at least, was why my home network hasn't had working network Growl in a very, very long time. I now get magical Growl notifications from my iTunes / bittorrent / build-box machine to my laptop :)

Wow. This is extremely encouraging....

rboswell
Harmless

Postby rboswell » Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:25 pm

evands wrote:I've just fixed a major bug with the networking implementation that meant that the only way it worked was if (a) you assigned the receiving side a static IP and (b) that static IP was the first IP Growl had ever seen for that computer.

The next version of Growl will properly resolve computer names to IP addresses via Bonjour.

if this solves the problem, you're my hero

any idea on when said version of Growl will be out?

evands
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby evands » Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:20 pm

rboswell wrote:if this solves the problem, you're my hero

Nope, but I've posted a test build for y'all to see if this (and some associated cleanup I did) solves your networking problems:
http://tekjew.com/growl-1.1.5svn-networkfix.zip

Not an official Growl release, please don't distribute beyond these forums or post anywhere else, yadda yadda. :)
The duck still burns.

--

rboswell
Harmless

Postby rboswell » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:36 pm

evands wrote:
rboswell wrote:if this solves the problem, you're my hero

Nope, but I've posted a test build for y'all to see if this (and some associated cleanup I did) solves your networking problems:
http://tekjew.com/growl-1.1.5svn-networkfix.zip

Not an official Growl release, please don't distribute beyond these forums or post anywhere else, yadda yadda. :)

well, first problem is that the pref pane doesn't load all the time and when it does, it shows a blank window ...

also it says that it couldn't bind the port for network notifications, how would I check to see if another app is already using that port?
Last edited by rboswell on Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

evands
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby evands » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:39 pm

Clear your cache and redownload; I uploaded a corrupted build accidentally initially.

After installing it, log out and back in so we're sure the old version of Growl isn't still running.
The duck still burns.

--

Return to “Growl”