Network notifications

The Growl forums have moved to Google Groups, this forum is read only.
rboswell
Harmless

Re: Network notifications

Postby rboswell » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:13 pm

evands wrote:Clear your cache and redownload; I uploaded a corrupted build accidentally initially.

After installing it, log out and back in so we're sure the old version of Growl isn't still running.

after installing the test build on both my machines and logging out and back in the network notifications works seamlessly

you are officially my hero :grin:

jwm
Harmless

Postby jwm » Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:39 am

evands wrote:Nope, but I've posted a test build for y'all to see if this (and some associated cleanup I did) solves your networking problems:
http://tekjew.com/growl-1.1.5svn-networkfix.zip

I have similar symptoms, but this didn't help. FWIW, I'm sending Growl messages using Net::Growl from a remote machine. The remote registration password is correct AFAICT (even copied/pasted it into Growl's prefpane to make sure). This was working with an older version of Growl; I'm not sure which, since I started from scratch on this Mac.

GrowlHelper is listening on 9887, tcpdump shows the incoming message, and Console.app shows it receives the packet:

[jwm@hobbes:s000 ~> netstat -an | grep 9887
udp46 0 0 *.9887 *.*

23:28:25.723975 IP6 cl-1.ewr-01.us.sixxs.net.39772 > hobbes.horde.net.9887: UDP, length 70

8/18/08 11:35:58 PM GrowlHelperApp[157] Received UDP packet from <1c1e9b5f 00000000 20014830 12000000 00000000 00000002 00000000>

but no Growl bubble appears. Locally generated (last.fm, etc.) Growl notifications work fine.

evands
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby evands » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:39 am

These changes were not relevant to the UDP network protocol, so I wouldn't expect any changes.
The duck still burns.
--
My company: Saltatory Software. Check it out :)

fracai
Harmless

Postby fracai » Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:09 pm

I just installed the network fix and notifications at first forwarded as expected. However every test with growlnotify popped up "the GrowlHelperApp wants to accept incoming connections" dialog. Clicking either button sets the app in the Firewall, but future growlnotify invocations pop the same dialog. Testing with Mail exhibits similar behavior, minus the forwarded notification.
i am jack's amusing sig file
Satellite Lot :: Second Summer

headcase
Harmless

Postby headcase » Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:24 am

I installed the network fix on my iMac and MacBook Pro running 10.4.11. The 1.1.5 fix installed ok on the iMac, which is acting as the forwarding server, and when I attempted to install the fix on on my MacBook Pro for the first time, the socket error popped up. Then when I attempted to reinstall, it would complete installation with no errors, but upon starting the Growl service, my System Preferences window crashed (although I could see that the Growl process was still running in the Activity Monitor). I suspect the 1.1.5 patch is conflicting with something else.

The first time both computers were running the 1.1.5 fix, the forwarding worked repeatedly, including after putting my MacBook Pro to sleep (acting as receiver of Growl notifications). Upon restarting my MBP, no more notifications coming in. I'm going to attempt to install the fix on my other machines, to see if this is a repeatable error.

smajor
Latté

Postby smajor » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:56 pm

I've tested it, and it works okay on my wired network but not Wired -> Wireless. My Linksys router is probably at fault here.

I really think that Growl needs to have an "expert tab" or something for network notifications that allows a user to enter a static IP/hostname and port to forward notifications to. It'll fix misbehaving routers that don't play well with Bonjour and allow users to forward notifications to computers at a remote location too. This is probably out of the scope of your fix, however.

headcase
Harmless

Postby headcase » Sat Sep 06, 2008 4:42 am

smajor wrote:I've tested it, and it works okay on my wired network but not Wired -> Wireless. My Linksys router is probably at fault here.

I really think that Growl needs to have an "expert tab" or something for network notifications that allows a user to enter a static IP/hostname and port to forward notifications to. It'll fix misbehaving routers that don't play well with Bonjour and allow users to forward notifications to computers at a remote location too. This is probably out of the scope of your fix, however.

I second this idea of an "expert tab" with IP address settings for server/client. I'm finding the current 1.1.5 beta isn't working dependently via Bonjour.

headcase
Harmless

Postby headcase » Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:29 am

Bump. Any progress on this, or can we test a new alpha?

The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby The_Tick » Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:54 pm

We've got other stuff that has to be done, at some point we'll have a beta out. No need to bump a thread that says that there is a fix in it.

The other request should have gone into a new thread guys.

sperfection83
Harmless

Postby sperfection83 » Sun Nov 16, 2008 12:57 pm

Do you have a date for the next release? I'm waiting for the "official" fix for the networking. The network fix doesn't work with my script.
Cheers,

leoofborg
Muffin

Re: Network notifications [Leopard, wireless AP isolation]

Postby leoofborg » Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:44 am

SMajor wrote:I've tested it, and it works okay on my wired network but not Wired -> Wireless. My Linksys router is probably at fault here.

Hello, I've downloaded the source a couple weeks ago and compiled it. It's *probably* the same as the 'network subversion' fix mentioned in this post. A couple of things:

#1::Just 'setting the firewall to accept tcp::23052 and udp::9887 on your router doesn't solve the problem. For a couple of reasons:

1/ On Linksys routers, the [WAN] firewall port config is for 'allowing requests' from *outside*. Wrong setting. Do not mess with WAN firewall. You should be able to 'growl' or do anything INSIDE your LAN without messing with this.

2/ What you *need* to find is if you have **LAN Settings** for wireless 'AP isolation' or 'client isolation' on your router. And disable it.

This setting is usually what causes problems, esp between wired and wireless clients.. like your 'Mini, wired, growling to your MBP, on the wireless' type issues. On a Linksys WRT-54G, look under 'Wireless > Advanced Settings'.... or if you have a Linksys that doesn't have these settings, use DD-WRT or some other advanced firmware.

#2:: What I'm getting with the svn build is repeated Leopard firewall dialogs on the 'Server' machine, and GrowlHelper passes the growl to my MBP anyway. It's just those appfw dialogs on the server are annoying, and I have to remote over and click the happy.fun dialog.

Is there anything I can do/ or script I can run to 'digitally sign' the SVN build, so that they go away?

Tick, apologies if I'm not supposed to be talking about 1.15 or svn builds here.

smajor
Latté

Postby smajor » Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:41 pm

Thanks, but I don't have that setting in my router and it's not one of the Linksys models that will accept a 3rd party firmware (and oh how I wish it would!)

zankty
Harmless

Postby zankty » Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:08 pm

I found a solution for my network (MacBook Pro and PowerBook G4), although it is rather peculiar.

I changed the password several times between two passwords. First password contained only letters while the second one contained one number. i.e.:
1. start -> does not work
2. start1 ->works

When ever I used the second password it would work and I received the notification on my MacBook. When using the first password nothing happened on the MB.

Could someone else try this?

soundsgoodtome
Latté

Postby soundsgoodtome » Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:58 am

Any updates on this front? All I know is it used to work flawlessly -- without any cryptic router configuration. It. Just. Worked. I realize there could be other variables, but could it really be that complicated, or might the problem be within growl, itself?

wagnerone
Harmless

Postby wagnerone » Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:16 pm

I still get:

"8/11/09 12:12:44 PM GrowlHelperApp[23615] WARNING: could not register Growl server."

...when I click on "listen for incoming notifications."

I noticed this immediately after installing 1.6.1 when it came out and forgot about the broken network feature again until today when I got a message from Growl I'd not seen before. It said something to the effect of "growl network port is bound by another process."

I loaded the Growl pref pane and toggled the networking bit only to see that message 1 or 2 more times then the "8/11/09 12:12:44 PM GrowlHelperApp[23615] WARNING: could not register Growl server." message began showing in the log.

I never used the networking functionality before, but went to use it a few months ago and found it non-functional. Seems like a killer feature and I hope it can be restored.

Thanks. Awesome utility!

Mike

Return to “Growl”