Cannot uninstall Growl

The Growl forums have moved to Google Groups, this forum is read only.
Inkslinger
Harmless

Cannot uninstall Growl

Postby Inkslinger » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:43 pm

I recently tried to install some new themes for Growl and my Logitech Trackman went nuts. Anything I click on now becomes attached to the cursor, along with a green ball with a white plus sign in it. The only way to get rid of it is to unplug the Trackman, at which point whatever was attached to the cursor is dropped wherever the cursor happens to be.

Mac Support thought Growl, which they claimed never to have heard of, might be the cause, but Growl Uninstall failed to work (just bounced on the dock for awhile, then timed out). I would just drag it to the Trash, but there is no sign of the app in Applications or Utilities. There is a Growl file in Documents (where I found the Uninstall.app) and there appears to be a Unix program at /Library/PreferencePanes/Growl.prefPane/Contents, but I'm not sure what dragging all that into the Trash would accomplish.

Growl still appears in the menu bar and I have stopped it, but that did not solve my problem.

I never installed LCC, just let Leopard ID the Trackman and my Logitech keyboard (as a standard PC keyboard). And all was well for four months - until the attempt with the new Growl themes.

So, anybody know how to uninstall Growl - and where the heck it could possibly be hiding not to show up in Applications?

Thanks.

bgannin
Growl Team

Re: Cannot uninstall Growl

Postby bgannin » Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:25 am

Since they've never heard of Growl, I highly doubt they are informed enough to pinpoint it as the sole cause. Growl doesn't directly interact with hardware (or control the cursor) so it's a dubious claim. To uninstall Growl you need to stop Growl (you can use the button in the pref pane or the item in the status menu) and turn off the status menu. In System Preferences you'll click Show All and then ctrl+click on the Growl icon and click "Remove". This removes the preference pane, which contains Growl's functionality. Growl is not a standard application in Applications and the 'Unix program' you allude to is actually the Mach-o binary executable that forms the actual core of an application.
Try my software!

#define ADIUMX pimp //by me
#define QUESTION ((2b) || (!2b))
Have you hugged a programmer today?

Inkslinger
Harmless

Postby Inkslinger » Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:40 am

There is no "Remove" to click in Growl's systems preference window; I did uncheck and disable everything I could find, but that certainly doesn't remove it from the computer.

I agree with you re the tech's probable knowledge (she had found something via Google that led her to Growl, I believe). My plan was to remove it, see if that fixed the problem and move forward accordingly. But now that I've found there is no easy way to get it off the computer, my attitude toward Growl has hardened considerably. I don't care how good a program is, I do not want to be Nortoned (for you who've never used a PC, Norton used to produce some of the best security software, but in recent years they have become impossible to live with, tending to conflict with just about anything else you load; worst of all, however, you can't use any uninstall program, including Windows, to get Norton off your computer - you have to download a special uninstaller from Norton's website).

So, as a Mac newbie, whatever good or bad there may be to Growl, at this point, whether it has anything to do with my other problem or not, I just want it gone.

Which brings me back to my original question: How do you remove it? Or am I failing to understand some kind of Mac shorthand and "click Remove" doesn't mean there is an actual button labeled "remove" but instead refers to some key or key combo?

bgannin
Growl Team

Postby bgannin » Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:46 am

Inkslinger wrote:There is no "Remove" to click in Growl's systems preference window; I did uncheck and disable everything I could find, but that certainly doesn't remove it from the computer.

Which brings me back to my original question: How do you remove it? Or am I failing to understand some kind of Mac shorthand and "click Remove" doesn't mean there is an actual button labeled "remove" but instead refers to some key or key combo?

As I stated the first time, if you are in Growl's preference pane click Show All in System Preferences' toolbar (the button that says this) to show all preference panes; otherwise launch System Preferences (it's in Applications)

Ctrl (that means hold Control key down) and then click your mouse on the Growl icon in System Preferences to show a contextual menu. This contextual menu contains a menu item that says "Remove Growl Preference Pane". Click on this after you've followed my steps for turning off all parts of Growl.
Try my software!

bgannin
Growl Team

Postby bgannin » Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:49 am

Inkslinger wrote:But now that I've found there is no easy way to get it off the computer, my attitude toward Growl has hardened considerably. I don't care how good a program is, I do not want to be Nortoned (for you who've never used a PC, Norton used to produce some of the best security software, but in recent years they have become impossible to live with, tending to conflict with just about anything else you load; worst of all, however, you can't use any uninstall program, including Windows, to get Norton off your computer - you have to download a special uninstaller from Norton's website).

Don't generalize and demonize unnecessarily due to your lack of knowledge about the way the OS works. It's called trolling for a reason. Your question has now been addressed twice without any disparaging remarks made to you or your work, we appreciate the same.
Try my software!

The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby The_Tick » Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:12 pm

If you google for "Removing Growl", the first link is http://growl.info/documentation/growl-p ... emoval.php

Heads up.

Inkslinger
Harmless

Postby Inkslinger » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:31 pm

bgannin wrote:Don't generalize and demonize unnecessarily due to your lack of knowledge about the way the OS works. It's called trolling for a reason. Your question has now been addressed twice without any disparaging remarks made to you or your work, we appreciate the same.

We seem to be misreading each other somewhere - I have not, at any time, made disparaging remarks about you or anyone else, except myself, unless you are taking personally my frustrations with the program Growl.

I have had very few problems with my new Mac or Leopard, at least until this latest incident (still on-going) with the wayward cursor and confused trackball. Mac Support pointed the finger at Growl, which led to my attempts to remove it, altho I had nothing against it at the time. Now I do, simply because it does not seem to want to be removed.

As to your last suggestion, my previous efforts have at least succeeded in removing Growl from the Menu bar and from System Preferences, so I am unable to hold down the Ctrl key and click on anything. In watching the video to which The_Tick pointed me this morning, it appears I managed to do most of those tasks, albeit somewhat haphazardly and out of order, which may account for Growl files still being in the Documents folder, from which I will now move them to Trash. My concern is that Growl, like Norton on the PC, does not go gently into that good night and may yet leave behind bits and pieces, large or small, that could produce problems down the line.

I appreciate your efforts to help and those of others here. If you took personally what I said about Growl, it was not so intended and should instead be seen as a customer interface problem with the program that needs to be addressed.

bgannin
Growl Team

Postby bgannin » Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:46 am

Growl is literally contained in the preference pane. If that's in the Trash, the only thing left is custom styles and preferences.
Try my software!

bgannin
Growl Team

Postby bgannin » Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:49 am

Inkslinger wrote:We seem to be misreading each other somewhere - I have not, at any time, made disparaging remarks about you or anyone else, except myself, unless you are taking personally my frustrations with the program Growl.

I do take Growl personally (I'm the lead developer currently) and the remarks about it being like Norton and trying to stick around are less than generous or complimentary, thus my comment (which I still stand by.)
Try my software!

The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby The_Tick » Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:59 pm

Guys, this needs to end, it's not helping either of you.

Inkslinger, you need to learn how to approach a forum where folks who write the software also provide the support. It's their baby. If we said your baby was ugly and had 3 feet when it in fact was neither of those things, you would take offense too.

Now, back to the technical issues guys.

Return to “Growl”