How do I use SMS notifications

The Growl forums have moved to Google Groups, this forum is read only.
faisalk
Harmless

How do I use SMS notifications

Postby faisalk » Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:17 am

Hi everyone ,

I have been trying to use sms notifications in 1.1.4 with Leopard. But so far I couldn't get it to work.
I signed up for a clickatell.com account, added an XML connection, filled in the details in Growl (user name, password, API ID, my number in international format). Did I miss something?

Thanks

Diggory
Growl Team

Re: How do I use SMS notifications

Postby Diggory » Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:14 am

I've just tried it - it seems not to work at the moment. Clickatell may have changed something. I'll have a look at the code later today.

faisalk
Harmless

Postby faisalk » Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:37 pm

thanks =-)

Diggory
Growl Team

Postby Diggory » Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:14 pm

OK, I've had a look, and fixed it - the requests are sent to clickatell over HTTP, and the URL that is used has started responding with a re-direct, and our code didn't handle that at all.

If you want to get a working copy of the SMS display now I'll post it online. To install it you will need to do the following:

1 - Stop Growl.
2 - Find the Growl Pref pane in the finder
3 - Right-click it and 'show package contents'
4 - In the Prefpane package navigate to /Contents/Resources/GrowlHelperApp
5 - Right-click the helperApp and 'show package contents'
6 - In the helperApp package navigate to /Contents/Plugins
7 - replace sms.plugin with the new version.

New version here: http://bucket.monkeyfood.com/SMS.growlV ... y_2008.zip

faisalk
Harmless

Postby faisalk » Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:36 pm

Thanks a lot it works perfectly now. I have been waiting for sms in Growl forever :goodjob:

If it is not too much trouble I would like to make a couple of feature requests for the next version . Sender ID and an option not to append any text like the computer name in the message. In SMS every character counts.

Diggory
Growl Team

Postby Diggory » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:21 pm

No worries, glad it works properly again.

As for your feature requests - I intend to implement the SenderID thing - initially they allowed anything as the senderID so we could have 'Growl' as the sender (in fact that's what is hard-coded in there at the moment.) Alas, obviously due to SMS spammers that's not possible any more - senders have to be a valid telephone number and verified via individuals' API accounts.

As for the customisation of the text, to be honest I'm not sure I've got enough free time to get my head around how that would work properly. I'm pretty bad at multi-tasking, and I've got a few other things on at the moment, so it's low on my priority list. Although anything's possible (and anyone's welcome to suggest/hack solutions - it's open source after all.)

I also want to improve the usability of this display mode. I would imagine it's not very nice to set-up for the average user. I think perhaps it needs it's own documentation page on the growl site and a big link to there from the plug-in's interface in the prefpane.

tomhenderson
Harmless

Postby tomhenderson » Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:09 am

Thanks for the fix Diggory, but is there any chance you can make a universal version of the updated SMS.growlView file? My home server is an old PowerPC mac and I'd love to be able to use this on it.

Thanks again

tomhenderson
Harmless

Postby tomhenderson » Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:01 am

Nevermind, I managed to get it working. Just needed to enter the API ID. Thanks for another great feature!

sokab123
Harmless

Postby sokab123 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:57 pm

I have an account with Clickatell, where do I put the API number in Growl so Growl can send SMS messages?

Diggory
Growl Team

Postby Diggory » Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:53 pm

Growl Preference Pane ->Display Options Tab -> SMS Display Style -> API ID text field.

Return to “Growl”