Grow notification for iPhone call

The Growl forums have moved to Google Groups, this forum is read only.
admonderz
Harmless

Grow notification for iPhone call

Post by admonderz »

Would anybody consider making a Growl app that would pop up an onscreen notification when I receive a call on my iPhone. I know it sounds ridiculous but there are often times when I have my headphones on and don't hear it ring, even with the bip-beep-bipp-bip interference sound, also if the phone is under papers or in my bag and on silent, when it should not be.

I originally posted in the iPhone forums but was told to (sensibly) post in the growl forums:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jsp ... 21#7628221
The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Re: Grow notification for iPhone call

Post by The_Tick »

As far as I understand it, the iphone bluetooth is crippled to the point where you can only use it to talk to a bluetooth headset. I can't think of another way to do this sensibly.

Maybe go back to those forums and ask about bluetooth.
Interstink
Harmless

Post by Interstink »

I think a Growl Application for the iPhone is a GREAT idea. Information would NOT use Bluetooth, but the iPhones Data or Wifi connection to send/receive.

I would rather this in reverse of what you are looking for. Would rather notifications from computer to be sent to the iPhone (Which also seems more possible when it comes to development). I dont need to list the possibilities, but we use Growl for Voicemail notifications and server notifications accross our network. But may also be nice to get a download or Encoding complete notifications on large files. ETC... Thats why GROWL is so amazing!
admonderz
Harmless

Post by admonderz »

Thank you for your enthusiasm, but, forgive me, your missing the point - much like I miss my calls. I often find that all of my attention is focused on my computing screen, purposefully having blocked out mobile ringing and even the door bell (another growl use). I would like a notification for my monitor because of the mobiles small form factor; its easily hidden.
booshtukka
Harmless

Post by booshtukka »

even the door bell (another growl use)
Are you saying you run growl notifications from your doorbell? Good God I want to do that. Tell me how?
admonderz
Harmless

Post by admonderz »

No, I can't. But that is the whole idea of a connected home, all computerized. Apple reall haven't touched on that, Microsoft did with eHome but its sort of wained, but I know Apple would do it well.
seebees
Harmless

Post by seebees »

I use CallWave for this. Check it out. Not only can you see that someone is calling, you can hear them leaving a message and answer the phone on your land line.
The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Post by The_Tick »

Interstink wrote:I think a Growl Application for the iPhone is a GREAT idea. Information would NOT use Bluetooth, but the iPhones Data or Wifi connection to send/receive.

I would rather this in reverse of what you are looking for. Would rather notifications from computer to be sent to the iPhone (Which also seems more possible when it comes to development). I dont need to list the possibilities, but we use Growl for Voicemail notifications and server notifications accross our network. But may also be nice to get a download or Encoding complete notifications on large files. ETC... Thats why GROWL is so amazing!
Apps on the iphone can't run in the background if I remember right, so that makes this an unusable option.
sodapop
Harmless

Post by sodapop »

admonderz wrote:Would anybody consider making a Growl app that would pop up an onscreen notification when I receive a call on my iPhone. I know it sounds ridiculous but there are often times when I have my headphones on and don't hear it ring, even with the bip-beep-bipp-bip interference sound, also if the phone is under papers or in my bag and on silent, when it should not be.

I originally posted in the iPhone forums but was told to (sensibly) post in the growl forums:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jsp ... 21#7628221

THere is a an old app called MegaCellX that might help.
soundsgoodtome
Latté

Post by soundsgoodtome »

Interstink wrote:I think a Growl Application for the iPhone is a GREAT idea. Information would NOT use Bluetooth, but the iPhones Data or Wifi connection to send/receive.
man, do i need this -- but not only for calls; also for text messages. i can't make the confounded thing ring louder! what's worse, i make music for a living, so 90% of the time, i just don't hear any of the ring sounds -- even with the phone right in front of me. (i also don't see it light up, because i'm engrossed with the mac screen.) growl notifications would be amazing....
Last edited by soundsgoodtome on Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Post by The_Tick »

Figure out how to get it so that we can have an official iphone application run in the background, and it would be considered. Otherwise this issue is moot.
admonderz
Harmless

Post by admonderz »

Not visited here in while. What about an app that starts when there is no motion for a 5min period and senses the laptops wifi, thus indicating that the phone is to one side and that attention is now poised toward the laptop/desktop device. Or does the program have to be running for this?
admonderz
Harmless

Post by admonderz »

I came up with an idea for Apple (and posted it to them), that being the iPhone itself could have built in conditions that allow it to make predetermined choices e.g. if the iPhone was idol and the sensors only detected talking and fidgeting vibrations, coupled with a "familiar" laptop near by then its probably sitting on a desk with the owners attention to a laptop/desktop.. So why not then forward info like calls, sms via something like GROWL in those conditions... a bit like switching off the screen when placed to the face during a call.

I hope they think about that one.