Help! Hardware Growler sending tons of IOUSB Device alerts!

The Growl forums have moved to Google Groups, this forum is read only.
mapsjj
Harmless

Help! Hardware Growler sending tons of IOUSB Device alerts!

Postby mapsjj » Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:30 am

Hello.

For a while I've been getting sporadic reports from Hardware Growler about IOUSB devices being connected and then instantly being disconnected. It's started popping up a lot and sometimes spamming my screen to the point that I shut off Growler. I'm not even sure what these USB devices are but these are the two that I recall seeing often; IOUSBCompositeDevice and IOUSBWirelessControllerDevice. Either way, I'd like to disable these from coming up all the time without turning off all USB device alerts, which would be a real shame. I have already appzapped hardware growler once and reinstalled and it's still a problem.

Thanks in advance!

realtwang
Harmless

Re: Help! Hardware Growler sending tons of IOUSB Device alerts!

Postby realtwang » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:58 pm

I have this same problem, and have for a long time. Not sure what to make of it...with mine, the message is "USB Monitor". It's a constant disconnection and reconnection (about every 5 minutes). It's very annoying. Anyone have any insight on this one?

Running 10.4.11 by the way...
G4 Dual 800, 1.5GB RAM

The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby The_Tick » Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:13 am

Happen to have any usb devices plugged in?

realtwang
Harmless

Postby realtwang » Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:29 am

Yes, many. I should explain further. I'm not getting alerts from every device I have plugged in. The only one I'm continually getting says "USB Monitor". The thing I don't understand is, why the constant disconnection/reconnection all on its own? I'm not plugging in or unplugging anything...Does the system check all USB ports every 5 minutes? Is that the reason for the notification?
G4 Dual 800, 1.5GB RAM

Diggory
Growl Team

Postby Diggory » Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:46 pm

HardwareGrowler doesn't check periodically - it is notified by the OS when USB devices become (un)available.

I'd guess that there may be a hardware issue with one of your USB ports. (Just a guess though.)

mapsjj
Harmless

Postby mapsjj » Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:29 am

I always have two USB ports in use as well as my FireWire. When I plug in a USB, FireWire, join a network, etc, all that stuff works exactly how it's supposed to. It's just at seemingly random times it just flares up and connects and disconnects a whole bunch of times and then just kind of settles down from anywhere for a few seconds to a few hours.

Diggory
Growl Team

Postby Diggory » Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:05 am

Just another guess -- perhaps it's a voltage/power issue: maybe something's drawing too much power thus causing the port/OS to do something odd.

I really don't know enough about USB to give a definitive answer, but HardwareGrowler is really quite a simple app - all it does is get notified by the OS and issue a Growl notification.

'USB Monitor' suggests a display - do you have a display with USB ports connected?

mapsjj
Harmless

Postby mapsjj » Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:21 am

Is there any way to modify any of the files so that it just won't display messages for virtual USB connections and only display the physical USB ports?

Diggory
Growl Team

Postby Diggory » Fri Oct 17, 2008 3:36 am

No, unfortunately not. Sorry.

fieldy1973
Harmless

Postby fieldy1973 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:02 am

mapsjj wrote:Hello.

For a while I've been getting sporadic reports from Hardware Growler about IOUSB devices being connected and then instantly being disconnected. It's started popping up a lot and sometimes spamming my screen to the point that I shut off Growler. I'm not even sure what these USB devices are but these are the two that I recall seeing often; IOUSBCompositeDevice and IOUSBWirelessControllerDevice. Either way, I'd like to disable these from coming up all the time without turning off all USB device alerts, which would be a real shame. I have already appzapped hardware growler once and reinstalled and it's still a problem.

Thanks in advance!

I had this, but it wasn't related to any problem with Growl. Turns out my bluetooth module was faulty and needed to be replaced in my MacBook. It's supposedly quite a common occurrence.

Return to “Growl”