More bang from Growl: feature requests

The Growl forums have moved to Google Groups, this forum is read only.
rakoth
Harmless

More bang from Growl: feature requests

Postby rakoth » Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:07 pm

It seems a little bit wasteful to have a global event system and only use it for notifications. What about actions?
It would be pretty cool to be able to act on all the events that applications send to Growl.
Like have your mac shutdown when file transfer is complete. Or have iTunes alarms and reminders auto-fired on events in other apps.

One-time actions, Quick action creation
When all you need is to make your mac shutdown when Safari or Transmission finished transfers, going to System Preferences becomes a chore, even more that you need to do that again to remove that action.
Why not utilize menubar status item for this purpose, evoking a floating window with app/event, action and display style selection controls? (and a "Once" checkbox, enabled by default)
Maybe even keep a list of recent actions for quick re-creation.

Multiple actions per event
I'd sure like to have some events both display a notification AND send it as an e-mail, or more. Currently only one action is possible, probably because all they do is notify.

More actions
It has already been requested that Growl would allow to execute scripts on events.
I've seen plugin interface for Growl and I'm trying to put it to use right now, but I'm still posting request.
Plugins could add: shell script / automator workflow execution, iTunes control, computer state control (sleep or shutdown), control for specific applications perhaps.

Timed actions
It's overkill to use iCal for small-time notifications that I want delayed or executed at some precise time - that's why there's so many egg timers and such for MacOSX.
Growl could handle that too, unifying another aspect of user interface.
You could think that a third-party timer application with Growl support would do that trick, but then all other apps needing timed actions would have to talk to it, instead of talking to Growl.
Real-world example: I want to be notified 43 minutes after Atlantis.app sends a specific event to Growl, each time.
So, how about adding another parameter to events: for timing?
Would be less alarm clocks around.

Some of those things I'd like to implement myself - however, I need to know if you want Growl to expand there at all.

The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Re: More bang from Growl: feature requests

Postby The_Tick » Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:58 pm

I'd like to see actions at some point. However, I'm not sure anymore as to whether we should ship the actions based UI to another app, and have it feed off of Growl, or have Growl itself do this.

andrabr
Harmless

Postby andrabr » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:13 am

+1 vote

Personally I will be VERY happy if I can automatically fire an AppleScript.

Use case: when I plug in a USB camera and mike, Growl is notified (by hardwareGrowler) and I would LOVE it to automatically fire a script that will set the device as default. All I need for it is to be able to launch a script and to let it know what the message is... I will take care of the rest!

Ability to fire an external app/script will increase Growl's value almost exponentially!

Thx!

A>

bogdans
Harmless

Postby bogdans » Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:43 pm

+1

It would be a great feature.

iNik
Harmless

Postby iNik » Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:25 am

The_Tick wrote:I'd like to see actions at some point. However, I'm not sure anymore as to whether we should ship the actions based UI to another app, and have it feed off of Growl, or have Growl itself do this.

Passing notifications to third party scripts (AppleScript, shell scripts, etc.) seems like the easiest bridge. It would let folks add any number of custom features without having to mess in Growl's simple and effective structure. Every one of the feature requests in this post would be pretty easy to script in AppleScript.

I've been walking through how this might be implemented in this thread. I'd love to have more commentary and see if I can't talk a developer into taking this on.

Return to “Growl”