GrowlMail patch for Safari 4 (not a workaround)

The Growl forums have moved to Google Groups, this forum is read only.
djpadz
Harmless

GrowlMail patch for Safari 4 (not a workaround)

Postby djpadz » Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:41 pm

Note from the Developers: Please try the GrowlMail 1.1.5 beta instead! http://growl.info/beta.html We can then investigate any surviving crashes, including the PowerPC crash. Thank you. The original message follows.

The code patch to make GrowlMail work with the Safari 4 beta is pretty trivial, but I haven't seen anybody post one yet, so I'll post mine here. This will allow notifications to appear as they used to, under Mail.app. However, it should be noted that the notification has been moved to the main thread (per the cause of the crasher), so Mail.app will now block until it has downloaded enough information to display the notification. In lay terms, if you're on a slow link, you might want to avoid using this version of GrowlMail, as Mail.app will effectively stop while it's downloading the messages for notification.

There are two attachments here: the source patch, and the binary. The binary may be unzipped and dropped into your ~/Library/Mail/Bundles folder.
Attachments
GrowlMail.m.patch.gz
GrowlMail.m source patch
(742 Bytes) Downloaded 453 times
GrowlMail.mailbundle.zip
GrowlMail.mailbundle binary
(294.87 KiB) Downloaded 915 times

self.pity
Harmless

Re: GrowlMail patch for Safari 4 (not a workaround)

Postby self.pity » Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:30 am

well ever since i got safari 4 beta, Mail crashes every time i get a new message. i tried putting the package where you said (i think). do you think you could go step by step for a doof like me? thanks

djpadz
Harmless

Postby djpadz » Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:50 am

self.pity wrote:well ever since i got safari 4 beta, Mail crashes every time i get a new message. i tried putting the package where you said (i think). do you think you could go step by step for a doof like me? thanks

Sorry; I should have included that in the original message.

To install:

1. Quit Mail.app.
  2. Download the .zip file.
  3. Double-click it. You should get a file called GrowlMail.mailbundle.
  4. Figure out where GrowlMail is currently installed. It will be in either /Library/Mail/Bundles or ~/Library/Mail/Bundles. You can open these folders by selecting "Go to folder..." from the Go menu in the Finder.
  5. Drag the GrowlMail.mailbundle (not the zip file) icon to the folder that contains the existing one.
  6. Restart Mail.app

HTH,

--Dj

self.pity
Harmless

Postby self.pity » Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:47 am

sigh... i really appreciate the help but i cant tell if your fix doesnt work for me or i'm missing something. the "GrowlMail.mailbundle" you gave me is the only one i have. I cant replace and old version. i dropped the file into every folder i could and nothing has changed. like i said, this could be a user error or it just doesnt work for me.

thanks for the prompt response, i forgot to check 'notify of replies', so i took forever. thanks again.

seanW
Harmless

Postby seanW » Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:59 pm

Installed the patch and works great! Thanks.

djpadz
Harmless

Postby djpadz » Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:06 pm

seanW wrote:Installed the patch and works great! Thanks.

My pleasure!

self.pity wrote:sigh... i really appreciate the help but i cant tell if your fix doesnt work for me or i'm missing something. the "GrowlMail.mailbundle" you gave me is the only one i have. I cant replace and old version. i dropped the file into every folder i could and nothing has changed. like i said, this could be a user error or it just doesnt work for me.

thanks for the prompt response, i forgot to check 'notify of replies', so i took forever. thanks again.

Hmmm... If you were running GrowlMail before, then you must have it someplace. Let me expand on the steps...

1. Quit mail.
  2. Download GrowlMail.mailbundle.zip from the first message. You do not need the GrowlMail.patch.gz file. That's just for people who want to build from source.
  3. Move the downloaded file to your desktop.
  4. Double-click it.
  5. Move the downloaded file (not the new one that just got created) to the trash.
  6. From the Finder, select Home from the Go menu.
  7. Double-click Library.
  8. Double-click Mail.
  9. Double-click Bundles.
  10. If you see GrowlMail in that window, then drag it to the trash, and drag the GrowlMail.mailbundle on your desktop to the window, restart Mail, and you're done. If you do not see it there, or you did not see Bundles in the last step, continue on.
  11. Double-click your hard drive icon on the desktop.
  12. Double-click Library.
  13. Double-click Mail.
  14. Double-click Bundles.
  15. If you see GrowlMail in that window, then drag it to the trash, and drag the GrowlMail.mailbundle on your desktop to the window, restart Mail, and you're done. If you do not see it there, then I have a feeling that you've never installed GrowlMail, so your mail crashing problem is likely related to something else.
Good luck!

self.pity
Harmless

Postby self.pity » Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:48 pm

Sweeeet! It worked! I didn't know i was supposed to delete the original GrowlMail folder from Bundles. This has been bugging me sooo much. Thanks alot!

Also, thanks for making doof-proof instructions (i must be pretty moronic though).

djpadz
Harmless

Postby djpadz » Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:08 pm

self.pity wrote:Sweeeet! It worked! I didn't know i was supposed to delete the original GrowlMail folder from Bundles. This has been bugging me sooo much. Thanks alot!

Also, thanks for making doof-proof instructions (i must be pretty moronic though).

No sweat... Glad you got it working!!!

evands
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby evands » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:21 pm

Current source has a fix which doesn't cause significant blocking on the main thread.
The duck still burns.
--
My company: Saltatory Software. Check it out :)

djpadz
Harmless

Postby djpadz » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:17 pm

evands wrote:Current source has a fix which doesn't cause significant blocking on the main thread.

Thanks, Evan... I've been looking all over the place for that (which is why I released mine)... Where is it?

evands
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby evands » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:20 pm

The duck still burns.

--

My company: Saltatory Software. Check it out :)

djpadz
Harmless

Postby djpadz » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:40 pm

evands wrote:Check http://growl.info/documentation/develop ... nstall.php for the details, djpadz.

Thanks. I just checked it out. Looks like the approach that's in the dev source is a lot more elegant than mine. Probably took more than five minutes to write, too. :smile:

joeschmoe
Harmless

Postby joeschmoe » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:54 pm

Any chance somebody can post a compiled version? I'm not set up with xcode and I miss my growmail notifications :-( I do like this new safari though...

djpadz
Harmless

Postby djpadz » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:57 pm

joeschmoe wrote:Any chance somebody can post a compiled version? I'm not set up with xcode and I miss my growmail notifications :-( I do like this new safari though...

Here.
Attachments
GrowlMail.mailbundle.zip
(297.91 KiB) Downloaded 766 times

joeschmoe
Harmless

Postby joeschmoe » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:59 pm

Wow that was quick! You're a rock star!

joeschmoe
Harmless

Postby joeschmoe » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:02 pm

and even better... it works! Thanks again.

rastap
Harmless

Postby rastap » Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:16 pm

For me, Mail crashes at startup with this bundle installed (the binary posted by djpadz above):

Code: Select all

Thread 0 Crashed:
0   ???                              0000000000 0 + 0
1   com.growl.GrowlMail              0x50006394 +[GrowlMailPreferences load] + 124
2   libobjc.A.dylib                  0x9539c9b0 call_load_methods + 252
3   libobjc.A.dylib                  0x953954ec load_images + 132
4   dyld                             0x8fe02d7c dyld::notifySingle(dyld_image_states, mach_header const*, char const*, long) + 556
5   dyld                             0x8fe02d7c dyld::notifySingle(dyld_image_states, mach_header const*, char const*, long) + 556
6   dyld                             0x8fe02d7c dyld::notifySingle(dyld_image_states, mach_header const*, char const*, long) + 556
7   dyld                             0x8fe02d7c dyld::notifySingle(dyld_image_states, mach_header const*, char const*, long) + 556
508 dyld                             0x8fe02d7c dyld::notifySingle(dyld_image_states, mach_header const*, char const*, long) + 556
509 dyld                             0x8fe02d7c dyld::notifySingle(dyld_image_states, mach_header const*, char const*, long) + 556

I'm on ppc.

djpadz
Harmless

Postby djpadz » Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:14 pm

rastap wrote:For me, Mail crashes at startup with this bundle installed (the binary posted by djpadz above):

Code: Select all

Thread 0 Crashed:
0   ???                              0000000000 0 + 0
1   com.growl.GrowlMail              0x50006394 +[GrowlMailPreferences load] + 124
2   libobjc.A.dylib                  0x9539c9b0 call_load_methods + 252
3   libobjc.A.dylib                  0x953954ec load_images + 132
4   dyld                             0x8fe02d7c dyld::notifySingle(dyld_image_states, mach_header const*, char const*, long) + 556
5   dyld                             0x8fe02d7c dyld::notifySingle(dyld_image_states, mach_header const*, char const*, long) + 556
6   dyld                             0x8fe02d7c dyld::notifySingle(dyld_image_states, mach_header const*, char const*, long) + 556
7   dyld                             0x8fe02d7c dyld::notifySingle(dyld_image_states, mach_header const*, char const*, long) + 556
508 dyld                             0x8fe02d7c dyld::notifySingle(dyld_image_states, mach_header const*, char const*, long) + 556
509 dyld                             0x8fe02d7c dyld::notifySingle(dyld_image_states, mach_header const*, char const*, long) + 556

I'm on ppc.

Interesting... Both binaries are universal. Which one did you download -- the one from the first message, or the one from the more recent one? Also, what version of MacOS X are you running? Also, are you using a G4 or G5 ppc?

As best I can tell from the crash dump, it looks like something cause a null pointer dereference. Looking at the source, it would appear that the crash is probably happening in the poseAsClass: call, which is unavailable in Leopard's 64-bit ObjC runtime.

In any case, I made a small tweak to the code, which I doubt will fix it, but we might get lucky. Let me know if this works for you. If it does, we should probably raise this with the guy who's actually maintaining the code (he's going to have to fix this anyway, since poseAsClass: probably will disappear in Snow Leopard). I just downloaded and compiled.
Attachments
GrowlMail.mailbundle.zip
(297.92 KiB) Downloaded 428 times

Montanan
Harmless

Postby Montanan » Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:17 pm

The patch immediately above causes Mail to crash at startup for me, as well. This is on a G4 Powerbook.

djpadz
Harmless

Postby djpadz » Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:21 pm

Montanan wrote:The patch immediately above causes Mail to crash at startup for me, as well. This is on a G4 Powerbook.

hmmm... I'll try to test on a PPC machine this weekend, but it sounds like a problem that's beyond just building the code (which is all I'm doing). I'm afraid that if I can't get it working, PPC folks will just have to wait for the official release.

(for those who aren't aware, I'm not the developer; I'm just someone who's trying to help out, but most of my machines are Intel.)

Return to “Growl”