Email Notifications Stay on Screen

The Growl forums have moved to Google Groups, this forum is read only.
shaandeen
Harmless

Email Notifications Stay on Screen

Postby shaandeen » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:38 pm

Growl is an awesome app for my mac. That being said, there is just one thing that bugs me...

When I get email in my Mail
Growl opens a notification and lets me know i've got email
but if i don't click on the email or mouseover the notification
it stays on
i don't mind this but
even AFTER i have read the email i would like the growl notification to disappear but it doesn't
in fact, when i get about 7 emails
i have 7 growl notifications and it covers the whole screen
then i have to open the emails in Mail
and also then click on the "close" button on each notification individually
which is really tiresome

is there any way to set growl to close the notifications once the emails have been read?

i do know that while i'm ON the computer and the emails come in, and the notifications pop up it's no problem, it simply fades out again as i mouseover it or open the emails...
but this question really is for when i'm NOT ON the computer and i get emails...

i hope anyone out there understands what i'm trying to say
i'm happy to explain more...

please help
shaandeen

boredzo
Cocoaforge Admin

Re: Email Notifications Stay on Screen

Postby boredzo » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:46 pm

shaandeen wrote:When I get email in my Mail
Growl opens a notification and lets me know i've got email
but if i don't click on the email or mouseover the notification
it stays on

then i have to open the emails in Mail

No, you don't. Once the notification makes it to Growl, what you do in Mail has no effect on it.

and also then click on the "close" button on each notification individually

You can hold down option while closing that button to dismiss all the notifications on the screen at once.

is there any way to set growl to close the notifications once the emails have been read?

No. Currently, applications (which includes GrowlMail) have no way to dismiss a notification that they have already sent to Growl.

For Growl to close the notification automatically when you read a message, GrowlMail would have to notice when you read the message and tell Growl to dismiss the notification; the former part is at least very hard, and the latter part is currently impossible.

(And that latter part is why nothing you do in Mail has any effect on notifications Growl is already displaying.)

i do know that while i'm ON the computer and the emails come in, and the notifications pop up it's no problem, it simply fades out again as i mouseover it or open the emails...
but this question really is for when i'm NOT ON the computer and i get emails...

On the General tab of the Growl pane in System Preferences, there's a checkbox labeled “Leave notifications on the screen after [    ] seconds of inactivity”. If you don't want that to happen, you can uncheck that box; then the notifications will always fade out, regardless of whether you're at the computer or not.

Return to “Growl”