mail.app very slow in 1.2/10.6.1

The Growl forums have moved to Google Groups, this forum is read only.
piyamaradus
Harmless

mail.app very slow in 1.2/10.6.1

Postby piyamaradus » Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:30 pm

I've seen postings for 10.5 and earlier Growl with similar symptoms -- using GrowlMail causes Mail.app to become nonresponsive during any background activity. This is definitely triggered by Growl -- turning off 'Enable GrowlMail' makes the problem completely go away. When it's enabled, downloading any amount of mail will cause mail.app to cease responding to input until it's done downloading; the actual download speed doesn't seem to be noticeably impacted.

Note that I do a _lot_ of mail -- 5 separate mailboxes at the moment (3 POP, 2 IMAP) some of which receive thousands of messages per day -- but things run fine without GrowlMail. The only other Mail.app plugin enabled currently is Mail Act-On, and all my other Growl notifications seem to work fine on this system, which is a current rev MBP running current 10.6.1.

Curious if anyone else has observed this.

boredzo
Cocoaforge Admin

Re: mail.app very slow in 1.2/10.6.1

Postby boredzo » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:25 pm

Please use Activity Monitor to take a sample of Mail while it is hung, and post it here using the “Attach File” command.

piyamaradus
Harmless

Postby piyamaradus » Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:50 pm

Should have done that the first time. 25 years of software development, you'd think I'd learn not to report 'it's broken' :)

Here's the sample trace, grabbed during the morning download of several thousand message. Performance can be choppy (possibly better when there's a lot more memory available? Haven't done stats on that) so I'm not 100% sure that this captured when it was locked, since I can only tell by testing input to mail.app while the sample is running. Sometimes it hangs for a few seconds, sometimes for the entire download (5-10 minutes or more).

Possible unusual things on my config:

o Lots of mailboxes
o Lots of mail in the database (but doesn't cause perf problems otherwise)
o Mail Act-on (current version)
o Sometimes low memory causing paging (4gb MBP but lots of things running)

No cpu constraints during any of this -- CPU load stays < 15-20%.

Thanks!
Attachments
piyamaradus-mail-plus-growl.txt
Captured during morning mail download; by this point only a couple of the boxes were syncing as the IMAP ones are a lot faster.
(862.84 KiB) Downloaded 261 times

boredzo
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby boredzo » Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:41 pm

piyamaradus wrote:
  • Mail Act-on (current version)

Try removing that.

This sample definitely does show a problem. Unfortunately, the culprit is not identified:

Code: Select all

→                             1247 0x1007a87cd
                                1247 -[MimeBody attributedString]
                                  1245 -[ParsedMessage attributedString]
                                    1245 -[NSAttributedString(NSAttributedStringKitAdditions) initWithData:options:documentAttributes:error:]
                                      1244 _NSReadAttributedStringFromURLOrData
                                        1244 -[NSHTMLReader attributedString]
                                          1244 -[NSHTMLReader _loadUsingWebKit]
                                            799 CFRunLoopRunSpecific
                                              799 __CFRunLoopRun
                                                728 __CFRunLoopDoSources0
                                                  726 __NSThreadPerformPerform
→                                                   716 0x1007a87cd
                                                      716 -[MimeBody attributedString]
                                                        716 -[ParsedMessage attributedString]
                                                          716 -[NSAttributedString(NSAttributedStringKitAdditions) initWithData:options:documentAttributes:error:]
                                                            716 _NSReadAttributedStringFromURLOrData
                                                              716 -[NSHTMLReader attributedString]
                                                                716 -[NSHTMLReader _loadUsingWebKit]
[etc.]

Please try running Mail as 32-bit and take a sample of that.

piyamaradus
Harmless

Postby piyamaradus » Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:27 pm

Removing mail act-on does not appear to have an impact on performance.

Rerunning in 32-bit mode also doesn't appear to stop the long stretches of input delay; here's another capture, running in 32bit mode.
Attachments
piyamaradus-mail-plus-growl-32b.txt
(732.21 KiB) Downloaded 282 times

boredzo
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby boredzo » Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:57 pm

piyamaradus wrote:… here's another capture, running in 32bit mode.

Hm. Well, I was hoping I'd be able to look up that address, but apparently not. (Need to go file a bug asking for loaded-image information in samples…)

Anyway, all I can suggest at this point is make sure you don't have two GrowlMails installed. Check here:

• Your Home folder
    • Library
      • Mail
        • Bundles
  • Your startup disk
    • Library
      • Mail
        • Bundles

If you find a GrowlMail.mailbundle in both places, delete the one in the latter Library.

piyamaradus
Harmless

Postby piyamaradus » Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:27 am

OK, thanks. I'll keep tinkering with it. My hunch is that something is backing up when there's a burst of mail through the system, and when growl falls behind (on display?) it causes mail.app to block somewhere. But that's just a hunch. I may try triggering an applescript for just the folders I want instead...

Return to “Growl”