HardwareGrowler

The Growl forums have moved to Google Groups, this forum is read only.
thelouisguy
Latté

HardwareGrowler

Postby thelouisguy » Mon May 23, 2005 7:02 pm

I love the idea of HardwareGrowler (I have been using NetGrowler and SmokeStacks for a while). I have two requests.

1) I would like it to display the signal strenght when connecting ot an AirPort network. This is the only reason I use SmokeStacks http://www.geckopda.com/osx/software.php. All the other feature that HardwareGrowler has (except Volume Mounting) NetGrowler has http://www.slamb.org/projects/netgrowler/

2) I cannot get the app to run as a background app. It appears in the dock. Can this be fixed? NetGrowler works in the background and SmokeStacks has a PreferencePane.

I do not know who developped HardwareGrowler but I figured this is the best place to start.

Thank you.

Diggory
Growl Team

Postby Diggory » Tue May 24, 2005 3:12 pm

Hi,

If you want to make HardwareGrowler run without appearing in the dock you can hack the plist (hardwaregrowler.app/contents/info.plist)

change the end from this

Code: Select all

<key>NSMainNibFile</key>
   <string>MainMenu</string>
   <key>NSPrincipalClass</key>
   <string>NSApplication</string>
</dict>
</plist>

to this:

Code: Select all

<key>NSMainNibFile</key>
   <string>MainMenu</string>
   <key>NSPrincipalClass</key>
   <string>NSApplication</string>
   <key>LSUIElement</key>
   <string>1</string>
</dict>
</plist>

note the LSUIElement key/value pair.

(I plan to make this an application preference, but it's a little tricky and I'm lazy.)

As for the Airport signal - I'll look into it.

Thanks,

Digs.

thelouisguy
Latté

Postby thelouisguy » Tue May 24, 2005 6:54 pm

Okay, i did what you said and it does not open. It did not show in the dock so i checked the activity monitor and it ws not there. It was not in thee applications section of the growl preference panel. So, i changed the code back with not change. I deleted it, redownloaded it, and now, it will open in the dock for a split second and then closes. I cannot use hardwaregrowler anymore. So, i guess i just wont use it. (I am using 10.3.9 if that tells you anything)

Diggory
Growl Team

Postby Diggory » Wed May 25, 2005 10:25 am

Hmm - I'm not sure what you did wrong with the plist. Just tried it here and works. N.B. the three dots in the quote above are meant to represent continuing text - not dots you should add to the plist.

(p.s. you also may need to 'touch' the application's bundle for the OS to notice the change in the plist.)

e.g. I used the following command from the terminal "touch /Users/diggory/Code/OpenSource/growl/Extras/HardwareGrowler/build/HardwareGrowler.app/ "

As for re-downloading HWGrowler - Alas, owing to a stupid mistake on my part, the version of HardwareGrowler that is on the 0.7 DMG was built incorrectly - and will not launch.

A working version should be available on the 0.7.1 DMG.

Apologies, Digs.

zaudragon
Growl Team

Postby zaudragon » Wed May 25, 2005 11:34 pm

Diggory wrote:Hmm - I'm not sure what you did wrong with the plist. Just tried it here and works. N.B. the three dots in the quote above are meant to represent continuing text - not dots you should add to the plist.

(p.s. you also may need to 'touch' the application's bundle for the OS to notice the change in the plist.)

e.g. I used the following command from the terminal "touch /Users/diggory/Code/OpenSource/growl/Extras/HardwareGrowler/build/HardwareGrowler.app/ "

As for re-downloading HWGrowler - Alas, owing to a stupid mistake on my part, the version of HardwareGrowler that is on the 0.7 DMG was built incorrectly - and will not launch.

A working version should be available on the 0.7.1 DMG.

Apologies, Digs.

Development build?
Blog | X(tras)
Communists code without classes.

Diggory
Growl Team

Postby Diggory » Thu May 26, 2005 10:55 am

zaudragon wrote:Development build?

Yes, :oops:

Return to “Growl”