Page 1 of 1

HardwareGrowler install and netGrowler action

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 3:59 am
by themapplz
Hello everyone!
Could someone tell me how to install the hardwareGrowler? I have the .app in my applications folder, i have launched it and it doesn't show up in the activity monitor nor is anything happening. I can't seem to add it in the Growl prefpane and there's no documentation anywhere.
Is this a Tiger issue? Hardwaregrowler looks dope and I'd love it to work!

My netGrowler is there allright. But f.ex. disconnecting the airport releases no notification nor does reconnecting. The .app has the basic app-icon, unlike the others.

Plz help :cry: :shock:

thanks,
themapplz

Re: HardwareGrowler install and netGrowler action

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 5:39 am
by zaudragon
themapplz wrote:Hello everyone!
Could someone tell me how to install the hardwareGrowler? I have the .app in my applications folder, i have launched it and it doesn't show up in the activity monitor nor is anything happening. I can't seem to add it in the Growl prefpane and there's no documentation anywhere.
Is this a Tiger issue? Hardwaregrowler looks dope and I'd love it to work!

My netGrowler is there allright. But f.ex. disconnecting the airport releases no notification nor does reconnecting. The .app has the basic app-icon, unlike the others.

Plz help :cry: :shock:

thanks,
themapplz


What version of hardwareGrowler are you using? If it's from 0.7, try the beta:

http://www.growl.info/beta

almost there

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 10:26 am
by themapplz
Thanks a bunch

Now that works like a baby, but how do i get rid of the hardwaregrowler icon in the dock?

:roll:

Re: almost there

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:29 pm
by zaudragon
themapplz wrote:Thanks a bunch

Now that works like a baby, but how do i get rid of the hardwaregrowler icon in the dock?

:roll:


Search around… I forgot the exact procedure.

Re: almost there

Posted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 2:45 am
by Skippy
zaudragon wrote:
themapplz wrote:Thanks a bunch

Now that works like a baby, but how do i get rid of the hardwaregrowler icon in the dock?

:roll:


Search around… I forgot the exact procedure.

This works in Tiger; haven't tried it in anything earlier, though.

Right-click on the HardwareGrowler icon, and choose Show Package Contents. Open the Contents folder, then double-click the Info.plist file. It'll probably tell you there's no app set to open .plist files, but that's okay; we can just use TextEdit. Click Choose Application... and browse to TextEdit on your system. When the Info.plist file opens, add these lines under the <dict> tag:

Code: Select all

   <key>LSUIElement</key>
   <true/>

Save and quit TextEdit. Now, open your Terminal, and type touch (but don't hit return yet!). Drag the HardwareGrowler icon to the Terminal window to copy its path to the command line. Now hit return. If all is well, the HardwareGrowler icon won't show up in your dock any more.

Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:33 pm
by David Munch
Since the original poster was asking the same question, I'll do it too:

How do you install HardwareGrowler? There's no documentation on the website.. :) Are you supposed to start it, and then keep it running in the dock?

And there's no info on the beta link.

Re: almost there

Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:38 pm
by David Munch
Skippy wrote: This works in Tiger; haven't tried it in anything earlier, though.
Works fine in 10.3.9 too.

Posted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 10:57 pm
by Diggory
David Munch wrote:Since the original poster was asking the same question, I'll do it too:

How do you install HardwareGrowler? There's no documentation on the website.. :) Are you supposed to start it, and then keep it running in the dock?
Yep.

Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:27 am
by zaudragon
Diggory wrote:
David Munch wrote:Since the original poster was asking the same question, I'll do it too:

How do you install HardwareGrowler? There's no documentation on the website.. :) Are you supposed to start it, and then keep it running in the dock?
Yep.
You should copy it to Applications first, though.