power connecter and hardware growler

The Growl forums have moved to Google Groups, this forum is read only.
mathuaerknedam
Latté

power connecter and hardware growler

Post by mathuaerknedam »

So today I see *three* programs on MacUpdate that send up a growl notif when the AC power is connected/disconnected. That's cool.

But it made me wonder. I'm already running Hardware Growler, and it seems like a perfect fit there. Is there any chance we could get AC power connection monitoring added to Hardware Growler?

Thanks!
Matthew
djmori
Mocha

Post by djmori »

thats just a GREAT idea.
evands
Cocoaforge Admin

Post by evands »

Indeed; I'd use that.

Almost done.
The duck still burns.
--
My company: Saltatory Software. Check it out :)
evands
Cocoaforge Admin

Post by evands »

Okay, done. :) (No, that wasn't 3 hours of coding -- just got back to the house).

We need Growl-appropriate icons for A/C power, Battery, and UPS. Can one of you find or create 'em?
The duck still burns.
--
The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Post by The_Tick »

The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Post by The_Tick »

evands wrote:Okay, done. :) (No, that wasn't 3 hours of coding -- just got back to the house).

We need Growl-appropriate icons for A/C power, Battery, and UPS. Can one of you find or create 'em?

I'm going to see if kbotc can do it, but if anyone else can that'd be sweet.

Was it just a notification?
evands
Cocoaforge Admin

Post by evands »

The_Tick wrote:
evands wrote:Okay, done. :) (No, that wasn't 3 hours of coding -- just got back to the house).

Mildly complex notification handling -- IOKit tells us about it via a run loop notification, but then we want to parse it and decide what to show and how.

Hardest part may have been dealing with the god-awful CoreFoundation nature of the rest of the code... I was tempted to rewrite the entire extra, started to do so, then decided it just wasn't worth it since it works as is.

I did at least make it more launch and memory efficient by locating / loading needed images the first time they are used instead of all at once at load time.

Done in [3640].

(And then I got mad at the volume notifier talking to me as soon as it launches and had to fix that... [3639])
The duck still burns.
--
djmori
Mocha

Post by djmori »

lol nice one evands!
The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Post by The_Tick »

evands wrote:
The_Tick wrote:

Mildly complex notification handling -- IOKit tells us about it via a run loop notification, but then we want to parse it and decide what to show and how.

Hardest part may have been dealing with the god-awful CoreFoundation nature of the rest of the code... I was tempted to rewrite the entire extra, started to do so, then decided it just wasn't worth it since it works as is.

I did at least make it more launch and memory efficient by locating / loading needed images the first time they are used instead of all at once at load time.

Done in [3640].

(And then I got mad at the volume notifier talking to me as soon as it launches and had to fix that... [3639])

Ya, that's really my opinion of the cf stuff for now as well, if it works fine leave it, but if it's hurting on productivity when someone wants to add stuff, then I don't think it should stick around for far too long. *sigh*
Diggory
Growl Team

Post by Diggory »

I wish it was back to NS rather than CF - I'm too stupid to fix the bugs in HWGrowler now it's CF... :(
yelly
Crema

Post by yelly »

I think hardware growler needs to be redone in some way, like, for instance, it should be part of GrowlHelperApp or something, it being a straightforward app is kind of silly (I use the dockless mod, because otherwise it is really silly)
The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Post by The_Tick »

yelly wrote:I think hardware growler needs to be redone in some way, like, for instance, it should be part of GrowlHelperApp or something, it being a straightforward app is kind of silly (I use the dockless mod, because otherwise it is really silly)

And this shows how you just don't get what Growl is for ;)
yelly
Crema

Post by yelly »

The_Tick wrote:
yelly wrote:I think hardware growler needs to be redone in some way, like, for instance, it should be part of GrowlHelperApp or something, it being a straightforward app is kind of silly (I use the dockless mod, because otherwise it is really silly)

And this shows how you just don't get what Growl is for ;)

I do, the GrowlHelperApp thing was a lame example, sorry. I mean it should be a background app or something, not a normal app. (and not a .prefpane, I hate very small apps having .prefpanes (i.e., GrowlClock)).
yelly
Crema

Post by yelly »

actually, I've just had a great idea (should I open a new thread?):
Say you were to make a new tab in the Growl prepane called "Applications" (I know one already exists, but I couldn't come up with a better name), and into this tab applications (such as growlichat and growlclock) can "inject" their code, allowing you to control them in one organised place (I'm not saying these apps will build themselves into growl, growl would just "host" their space). I know I'm being a little abstract here, tell me if I'm not making sense.
yelly
mathuaerknedam
Latté

Post by mathuaerknedam »

That's great! How can I get it?

Now it's made me think of one of my longstand desired by way of a growl app. I'm thinking of something like a combination of MinibatteryStatus and GrowlClock that:

1) Will throw up Growl notifs for each batt% below 10% (like MBS)

2) Will allow some sort of keyboard shortcut to display the current battery status (like GC).

Would this be too much to add to Hardware Growler? I've always thought of it as a separate app, but now the lines are getting more blurry in my head. :)
Matthew