Growl 0.7.5

The Growl forums have moved to Google Groups, this forum is read only.
arnoz

Postby arnoz » Sun Oct 15, 2006 3:48 pm

evands wrote:0.7.5 is trivial to release... we really should do it to have a 0.7.x fully universal stable version out there.

For sure! But when? :razz:

evands
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby evands » Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:58 pm

arnoz wrote:But when? :razz:

You, sir, have identified the basic problem of my life at present...
The duck still burns.
--
My company: Saltatory Software. Check it out :)

arnoz

Postby arnoz » Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:03 pm

evands wrote:

Your life is due to few things then :lol:

evands
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby evands » Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:42 pm

arnoz wrote:
evands wrote:

Your life is due to few things then :lol:

I'm not sure what you mean.
The duck still burns.

--

The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby The_Tick » Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:54 pm

I'm really just waiting on the localizations stuff now for this release. Has anyone replied to you on that front Evan?

evands
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby evands » Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:19 pm

The_Tick wrote:I'm really just waiting on the localizations stuff now for this release. Has anyone replied to you on that front Evan?

French and Italian dudes sent me updates; no other replies. My post to the list was on 9/20.

Localizations exist for the users of those languages. Insofar as people care to have a free program localized, I'm thrilled to see it happen. Beyond that, it's really not our responsibility -- partially because it *can't* be except to make localization as easy and seamless as possible

Some nib sizing adjustments are needed... I wanted them to be able to do it in the Localizer program, and I've talked with its author about that, but nothing has come of it yet, so I guess it needs to be done manually.

I commit the French updates previous. I can't commit the Italian ones because:

Code: Select all

svn: PROPFIND request failed on '/growl/branches/growl-0.7'
svn: PROPFIND of '/growl/branches/growl-0.7': could not connect to server (http://src.growl.info)
The duck still burns.

--

The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby The_Tick » Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:14 pm

Try now, had to restart the box.

bgannin
Growl Team

Postby bgannin » Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:52 am

evands wrote:0.7.5 is trivial to release... we really should do it to have a 0.7.x fully universal stable version out there.

0.7.4 is Universal and worked fine for me for several months. If 1.1 is closing within the next few months there's no reason to divert development attention and focus for any reason - trivial or not.
Try my software!

#define ADIUMX pimp //by me
#define QUESTION ((2b) || (!2b))
Have you hugged a programmer today?

evands
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby evands » Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:23 am

bgannin wrote:

0.7.4 is Universal and worked fine for me for several months. If 1.1 is closing within the next few months there's no reason to divert development attention and focus for any reason - trivial or not.

0.7.4 ships a PPC-only Spotlight plugin which Spotlight launches each time a registration ticket is written out, launching Rosetta in the process.
The duck still burns.

--

bgannin
Growl Team

Postby bgannin » Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:04 am

Touché.
Try my software!

#define ADIUMX pimp //by me

#define QUESTION ((2b) || (!2b))

Have you hugged a programmer today?

The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby The_Tick » Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:06 am

Which I still don't get wtf we're doing with spotlight in the first place.

evands
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby evands » Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:16 am

The_Tick wrote:Which I still don't get wtf we're doing with spotlight in the first place.

It was trivial to fix to make it universal, but I think we removed it entirely from 1.x -- or if we didn't, we should.
The duck still burns.

--

The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby The_Tick » Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:48 am

evands wrote:
The_Tick wrote:Which I still don't get wtf we're doing with spotlight in the first place.

It was trivial to fix to make it universal, but I think we removed it entirely from 1.x -- or if we didn't, we should.

Ya, pretty sure we did.

I could see fleshing out the automator stuff for 1.2 or 1.3.

The current plan is that we just fix things with the trunk and get 1.1 out asap. Right now we == Brian & Rudy with some help from Peter every now and then.

yelly
Crema

Postby yelly » Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:46 pm

spotlight plugin? what was it even supposed to do?!? (apart from breaking, that is).

Sean
Latté

Postby Sean » Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:11 pm

The Spotlight importer thing causes Growl to use MUCH more RAM on Intel. It uses more then twice as much real memory on my MacBook then my iMac G5. In fact, it is using more memory then any other app on my Mac aside from Safari!

If it really is a simple fix, please throw it up somewhere... even an unofficial, English only version posted on the forums would be appreciated. I don't want to seem impatient but I was told about four or five months ago that it would be fixed "this weekend" and "next weekend" so it doesn't seem like fixing this would delay the next (1.1?) Growl release all that much..

The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby The_Tick » Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:47 pm

Sean wrote:If it really is a simple fix, please throw it up somewhere... even an unofficial, English only version posted on the forums would be appreciated. I don't want to seem impatient but I was told about four or five months ago that it would be fixed "this weekend" and "next weekend" so it doesn't seem like fixing this would delay the next (1.1?) Growl release all that much..

I regret giving anyone any kind of timeline now, but that's how it is. I got busy, other people did, things came up.

I'm not going to throw up some unofficial build just because it's using a smidge more resources than anything else on your machine. You'll need to wait until it's released.

zerock
Crema

Postby zerock » Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:59 am

zerock is a jack... repeated after me kids. i actually came back to re-read what i said, it was pretty mean. and i apologize for that. And well The_Tick i really respect you, and didnt mean for any kind of disrespect.
Last edited by zerock on Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby The_Tick » Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:25 am

zerock wrote:..or you could stop using growl, that's what i do, an app starts giving problems, nothing happens with a fix, i ditch the app, simple as that.

More than likely the spotlight fix will not fix Sean's problem. He's probably using a Webkit style, which is why it's using so much memory.

This is why I was really hesitent about even letting Webkit support into Growl.

Sean
Latté

Postby Sean » Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:03 am

I am not using a WebKit style, I use Smoke as my default (and Music Video for a few certain applications). Here is a screenshot showing how high the memory usage gets on Intel at times:

I have absolutely no problems on my iMac G5 - Growl uses just 9.73 to 20MB of RAM there. But on my MacBook (Intel) it starts off at 40mb and then goes up from there. I have reinstalled 3 times and it still happens so I am sure its the Rosetta thing...

I love Growl but it's getting really annoying to have to keep relaunching it just to make the memory usage lower.

The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby The_Tick » Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:37 am

I seriously doubt that's the spotlight importer causing that. We'll see when .7.5 is out.

Make sure that you are on .7.4 though.

Return to “Growl”