Growl not notifiying Entourage new email

The Growl forums have moved to Google Groups, this forum is read only.
jennylens
Harmless

Growl not notifiying Entourage new email

Post by jennylens »

Entourage 2004, Mac OS 10.4.7, SpamSieve, does Growl needs activation? Not a programmer, but can't remember what more I need to do besides install Growl. ONLY getting notifications from Entourage, but that includes spam which Growl doesn't alert me WHEN Growl works. What am I not doing? thank you! :shock: :x :sad:
evands
Cocoaforge Admin

Post by evands »

Check the Scripts/Email folder within the Growl download package; there's a readme there for Entourage which tells you what to do.
The duck still burns.
--
My company: Saltatory Software. Check it out :)
jennylens
Harmless

Growl scripts grayed out in Library, can't select

Post by jennylens »

Thank you for prompt reply. I put Entourage scripts in both Library and Microsoft User Data folders (where SpamSieve put its scripts) and scripts grayed out in both places when I access from Entourage - Rules - Scripts. Totally perplexes me! :cry:
Diggory
Growl Team

Post by Diggory »

I think you need to open the script in script editor - then save it again - for some reason that makes it work. Something to do with what SVN does to it possibly.

Anyone know what causes this?
The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Post by The_Tick »

Is there any way we could see if it's saving a resource fork or something like that?
jennylens
Harmless

Resave scripts in Script Editor to load into Entourage!!

Post by jennylens »

Wow, I opened scripts in Script Editor for the heck of it awhile ago, but never thought to resave them because they were grayed out when trying to load in Entourage. Why isn't that in the online documentation for Growl, as part of the Installation instructions? There's just a little asterik next to Entourage indicating script needed (which I totally didn't see), and NO tip for activating the scripts (by resaving). Thank you!! I spent/wasted more time getting Growl to work than creating actions in Photoshop or modifying toolbars/keyboard shortcuts in Word!! Now back to work!! :grin:
neil
Harmless

Entourage AppleScripts

Post by neil »

I've opened and saved new copies of the Entourage AppleScripts but still cannot select them from Entourage when setting up the Rule - they appear grayed out like all the AppleScripts on my machine do.
jennylens
Harmless

Growl still not notifying Entourage emails

Post by jennylens »

Growl prefs:
when clicking on Entourage Basic [Click checked off], e-mail notifications appears below with Sticky dashed;
Entourage Growl [click checked], urgent, normal and Sticky dashed.

This is the info that appears in the two windows in Growl Prefs. But I am not getting any notifications in my top right. I set Entourage to "display an alert on my desktop, display message subject only." I kept that on in the past cos if I miss the Growl notification, I see the envelope over the Entourage icon on my dock.

Yesterday I got Entourage notifications; today, nothing from Entourage or Growl. I am getting a red number in the SpamSieve dock icon, indicating I received emails. When I click on the SpamSieve icon, the message tells me I'm training it as I should.

I am going nutz over this. I just got iMac back from shop and all the programs up and running fine except Growl. I like it because when it works, I don't get spam email notifications as I do in Entourage. Thanks in advance. :???:
jennylens
Harmless

Growl, SpamSieve and Entourage finally working!

Post by jennylens »

I didn't realize I need to turn on Growl in SpamSieve, then I need to turn off the good/bad email count in Growl and turn on the notifications for just good email. Why aren't these defaults? Why isn't this in both SpamSieve and Growl's documentation? Obviously I'm going to write all this down for the next time! I've worked/taught many major software programs, but these two baffled me. So it goes! :grin:
The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Re: Growl, SpamSieve and Entourage finally working!

Post by The_Tick »

jennylens wrote:I didn't realize I need to turn on Growl in SpamSieve, then I need to turn off the good/bad email count in Growl and turn on the notifications for just good email. Why aren't these defaults? Why isn't this in both SpamSieve and Growl's documentation? Obviously I'm going to write all this down for the next time! I've worked/taught many major software programs, but these two baffled me. So it goes! :grin:

We don't support SpamSieve, and I don't know of any Growl Devs that use it.

We provide an entourage script that can be inserted into a rule, that's about it.

The documentation for those checkboxes in SpamSieve need to be in SpamSieve's docs, not ours.
jennylens
Harmless

maybe different kind of clarification needed

Post by jennylens »

hmm, i found out about Growl through SpamSieve. Maybe something in your documentation that when if you activate Growl via another program (not sure if activate is correct term) then check Growl's settings. you made scripts to use w/Entourage, but that alone did not make Growl work. it was after i installed Growl scripts in Entourage that i needed to go back to Growl and change the settings in Growl. And it ONLY worked after i changed the SpamSieve settings.

it's really hard to explain all this via email, but as a non-programmer but very experienced computer user/trainer, i found this very difficult to use. it was only because i was so very determined to make it work that i kept poking around and the tips about the scripts (which if in the documentation was obscure) and resaving the scripts helped.

you sound really defensive and i don't mean any harm. i think you have a great product, but most non-programmers/consumers would have given up eons ago. and if you ever decide to sell this, you might think about better documentation or your profit will be eaten up w/tech support. i've been in this industry nearly two decades and it always amazes me how upset people get when i take the time to carefully document problems and their fixes and suggestions.

if you want it for the programming community, fine, if you wanna take it bigger, you might want to think like the average user, and even then, i'm leagues above them. not bragging, but most people are soooo clueless but they need a good program like you have.

that's all folks, i wrote down the notes and i'm happy. just trying to spread the cheer. take care.
evands
Cocoaforge Admin

Post by evands »

Well, all the defaults stuff you described is controlled by SpamSieve -- their developers determined which notifications to have on by default.

Entourage is a special case because Microsoft has not chosen to support Growl in it... so it requires some hackery to make it happen, installing scripts, setting up rules, and so on.
The duck still burns.
--
My company: Saltatory Software. Check it out :)
The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Post by The_Tick »

Didn't mean to make that post seem defensive, just wanted to be clear. Basically we don't have control over spamsieve docs, and that's what needs to be changed since it's a spamsieve checkbox that you checked to get it to work.

We have the entourage script, but when I say "that's about it" that's what I meant. I don't think we have any docs for the script, and if we do they are rather poor. Probably due to most of us using Apple's Mail.
sprale
Harmless

Re: Growl not notifiying Entourage new email

Post by sprale »

I have Growl 1.1.3 installed. It works in a few apps that I have configured. It does not work in Entourage, it is not even in the list in the Growl prefs. When I look in the package for Growl 1.1.3, I see no scripts. I don't see them in the Extras folder either. Is there something else I need to download? I write AppleScripts, so that part should not elude me. Does someone have the steps documented to activate Growl in Entourage?

OS X 10.4.11, Entourage (Office 2004), Growl 1.1.3