Auto add new account

An instant messenger which can connect to AIM, GTalk, Jabber, ICQ, and more.
martin
Harmless

Auto add new account

Postby martin » Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:22 am

Hi,

I'm currently working on adding a Jabber service to my website. I would like to make it easy for my users to set up the account.

Is it possible to link to a file (like a vCard) with all the information, to set up the service in Adium?

Most of my users currently use MSN, because it's easy to set up. I don't believe that they now much about configuration - never the less, I would just loke to make it easy.
1. Download Adium and install.
2. Click here to cinfigure Adium.
3. Done.

Hope this is possible! I believe that it's possible with applescript, i guess that will only work on OSX.

./martin

evands
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby evands » Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:34 am

Well, Adium itself only works on OS X... are you looking for something which generally works in all (or most) Jabber clients?

If there *is* a standard you can find out about but which Adium doesn't implement (akin to the aim://goim? links which can be used to open a message or join a group chat), we could look into doing so.
The duck still burns.
--
My company: Saltatory Software. Check it out :)

mipadi
Frappa

Postby mipadi » Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:52 am

evands wrote:If there *is* a standard you can find out about but which Adium doesn't implement (akin to the aim://goim? links which can be used to open a message or join a group chat), we could look into doing so.

There is an XMPP URI specification, or at least a draft of one, that functions similarly to aim:// links. It's available here.

evands
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby evands » Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:56 am

mipadi wrote:
evands wrote:If there *is* a standard you can find out about but which Adium doesn't implement (akin to the aim://goim? links which can be used to open a message or join a group chat), we could look into doing so.

There is an XMPP URI specification, or at least a draft of one, that functions similarly to aim:// links. It's available here.

That'd be a good starter enhancement for someone to do -- implement the spec in AdiumURLHandling.m.

Unfortunately, there doesn't appear to be an item for adding an XMPP account to the client...
The duck still burns.

--

mipadi
Frappa

Postby mipadi » Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:58 am

evands wrote:Unfortunately, there doesn't appear to be an item for adding an XMPP account to the client...

What about the Add roster item specification? I'm not familiar with all of Jabber's terminology, so I don't know if that's right or not.

evands
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby evands » Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:02 am

A 'roster item' in XMPP terms is a 'contact' in Adium terms. The 'roster' is the 'serverside contact list'.
The duck still burns.

--

mipadi
Frappa

Postby mipadi » Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:07 am

So the querytype for adding contacts is the "roster" querytype listed in 3.2.1, then?

evands
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby evands » Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:32 am

mipadi wrote:So the querytype for adding contacts is the "roster" querytype listed in 3.2.1, then?

Yup
The duck still burns.

--

mipadi
Frappa

Postby mipadi » Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:12 am

I've started work on implementing handling for the xmpp: protocol spec in Adium. I have the handling for sending messages done, and I'm working on the remaining components.

diamondblast
Harmless

Re: Auto add new account

Postby diamondblast » Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:54 pm

i hoped you've suceeded in that because that's something i've tried to do myself and just couldn't do it :)
i'll be glad if you updated me on how it's going.

Return to “Adium”