GSoC Snapping Groups Preview

An instant messenger which can connect to AIM, GTalk, Jabber, ICQ, and more.
musicbyte256
Harmless

GSoC Snapping Groups Preview

Postby musicbyte256 » Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:07 pm

I've been, for a little over a month and a half, working on allowing the contact list to snap off into separate contact lists. For the past two weeks I've been using it none stop and I must say that it is very neat (and useful). Here are a few pictures of what it looks like:

[URL=http://picasaweb.google.com/andre.cohen/Adium/photo#5080796427055786098]
Image[/URL]
[URL=http://picasaweb.google.com/andre.cohen/Adium/photo#5080796427055786114]
Image[/URL]

At the moment groups can be snapped on and off and they also snap to each other. It's not done but if anyone has any suggestions while I'm working with the contact list feel free to comment.

KatLady81
Latté

Postby KatLady81 » Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:44 am

I'd just like to say...I LOVE it! :)
Although I wonder how the interface will be to snap/unsnap and such. Wouldn't it be confusing, esp with the no border/transparent backgrounds?

How will this option be controlled?

mascker
Harmless

Postby mascker » Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:55 am

TO BE REMOVED
Last edited by mascker on Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kepi
Latté

Postby Kepi » Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:00 am

mascker wrote:Another useless feature to Adium....

Really... Who need this (besides adium dev's)???

Nobody needs it, but a good number of people have requested such functionality over time. I, for one, would probably make use of such an ability.
- Jeff

LuxuryChair
Frappa

Postby LuxuryChair » Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:47 am

Oh, very very nice. I would use this often.

I use Adium as an extension of my desktop picture - It's there to look nice. I spend a very large portion of my day infront of my computer and having it all look nice does a lot for my productivity.

This is a feature that would make my adium look nicer in many different cases :)

Thanks for your work :D

Catfish_Man
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby Catfish_Man » Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:07 am

More important than looking nice are the organizational benefits for people with large contact lists; for example, being able to have an 'important contacts' list visible, while the main list is slid offscreen except when in use.

Rusty Shackleford
Muffin

Postby Rusty Shackleford » Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:12 pm

mascker wrote:Another useless feature to Adium....

Really... Who need this (besides adium dev's)???

Obviously the original poster wants this feature. Since he has the ability to implement it he's stepped up and added the feature; and that's what open-source is all about.

You and i may have no need for this particular feature, but then we're not the ones doing the work to add it, so why should it be a problem for us?

Of course, there's also the fact that the person implementing this is a new developer, here as part of Google's Summer of Code. It's entirely possible that after he has scratched the itch that made him join up he will continue to develop for Adium and add a feature that you or i might have a use for. A feature that may never have been added but for the initial itch he had that provided the incentive for him to become a dev.

djmori
Mocha

Re: GSoC Snapping Groups Preview

Postby djmori » Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:14 pm

musicbyte256 wrote:I've been, for a little over a month and a half, working on allowing the contact list to snap off into separate contact lists. For the past two weeks I've been using it none stop and I must say that it is very neat (and useful). Here are a few pictures of what it looks like:

[URL=http://picasaweb.google.com/andre.cohen/Adium/photo#5080796427055786098]
Image[/URL]
[URL=http://picasaweb.google.com/andre.cohen/Adium/photo#5080796427055786114]
Image[/URL]

At the moment groups can be snapped on and off and they also snap to each other. It's not done but if anyone has any suggestions while I'm working with the contact list feel free to comment.

It looks great! I love it!

yelly
Crema

Postby yelly » Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:13 pm

Looking good!
A nice addition would be visual notification that your contact list has "snapped", I envision it as a blue line that runs along the "line of snapping" and flashes for half a second.

waffffffle
Muffin

Postby waffffffle » Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:01 am

This looks cool. Great job.

Anyone working on smart groups?

musicbyte256
Harmless

Postby musicbyte256 » Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:44 pm

KatLady81 wrote:How will this option be controlled?

Groups are detached from a contact list by pressing command and dragging (the same combination that's used when reordering groups inside a contact list).

mascker wrote:Who need this (besides adium dev's)???

I have for a much longer time been a student than a "adium dev" and I can from experience see the value. Imagine: writing a group paper in a space consuming word processor, you have Firefox open next to it with a wikipedia entry that you need and that tetris game that you forced yourself to pause to finish your work. Where will a long contact list go so that you can see when that (conveniently late) group member logs in? This will allow that particular group that you need to leave behind the large contact list and fit nicely on that lower right corner of the screen that hasn't (yet) been used.

Yes that's an extreme situation. Personally I've been using it to divide people I have contact with and those that I don't: two contact lists one on each side of the screen which hide on the edge.

waffffffle wrote:Anyone working on smart groups?

Interestingly enough that was my other idea that I submitted for SoC. With all the experience I have gained in this project I look forward to working on that one as well. (Hopefully once the current project ends)

revolution
Crema

Postby revolution » Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:59 pm

musicbyte256 wrote:Interestingly enough that was my other idea that I submitted for SoC. With all the experience I have gained in this project I look forward to working on that one as well. (Hopefully once the current project ends)

That would be great, really looking forward to some kind of smart groups in Adium. I'd love to have one little group torn off my main CL that has the most important people I need to talk to it on it, and if it was a smart group of who I've spoken to in the last week that would be perfect!

The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby The_Tick » Sun Jul 08, 2007 12:19 pm

I'm wondering if, besides just cmd+drag, if clicking a button to detach a group would be useful.

Nice work :)

shanecavanaugh

Postby shanecavanaugh » Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:34 am

Will this allow separate contact lists for online and away or idle users?

The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby The_Tick » Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:22 am

If they are in different groups, yes.

Return to “Adium”