Custom sounds?

The Growl forums have moved to Google Groups, this forum is read only.
Sean
Latté

Custom sounds?

Postby Sean » Sun Sep 09, 2007 7:44 am

In OS X you can add your own custom system alert sounds to ~/Library/Sounds and they will then show up and be selectable (instructions here).

Was just wondering if there was a workaround like that for the Growl alert sounds? Is there a way I can add my own? I assume that Growl is not looking at the systems sounds folder since otherwise it would've shown up in the drop down like it does for the Sound preferences in OSX?

Thanks for any help...

The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby The_Tick » Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:11 am

We're looking at making ~/ work in 1.1.1 or 1.2.

Sans
Harmless

Postby Sans » Sat Sep 15, 2007 6:29 pm

Ditto. And, please, add 'Custom...' menu item at the bottom that will allow to pick sound from any other location. Thanks!

bgannin
Growl Team

Postby bgannin » Sat Sep 15, 2007 6:46 pm

Sans wrote:Ditto. And, please, add 'Custom...' menu item at the bottom that will allow to pick sound from any other location. Thanks!

We will be adding support for reading from the standard locations, but not for a Custom... sound at this time. It's preferable to follow the patterns inherent within the OS, for /Library/Sounds and ~/Library/Sounds. This patch (reading from /Library/Sounds and ~/Library/Sounds) will be added for Growl 1.1.2. The current workaround would be to add them to /System/Library/Sounds.
Last edited by bgannin on Sat Sep 15, 2007 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Try my software!

#define ADIUMX pimp //by me
#define QUESTION ((2b) || (!2b))
Have you hugged a programmer today?

The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby The_Tick » Sat Sep 15, 2007 6:48 pm

bgannin wrote:
Sans wrote:Ditto. And, please, add 'Custom...' menu item at the bottom that will allow to pick sound from any other location. Thanks!

We will be adding support for reading from the standard locations, but not for a Custom... sound at this time. It's preferable to follow the patterns inherent within the OS, for /Library/Sounds and ~/Library/Sounds. This patch (reading from ~/Library/Sounds) will be added for Growl 1.1.2. The current workaround would be to add them to /Library/Sounds.

Actually, I don't see the problem with a custom sound. I can see using both search paths, but not including a Custom... option seems kinda.. bla?

Return to “Growl”