Vienna the Battery Hog: Why's High Perf GPU Always Required?

An RSS/Atom newsreader with features comparable to commercial newsreaders.
Temple
Harmless

Vienna the Battery Hog: Why's High Perf GPU Always Required?

Postby Temple » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:26 pm

I love Vienna, I keep it on all the time. It starts on startup. It's part of my Mac.

This is probably why my MBP gets such dreadful battery performance.

Under the new Activity Monitor in 10.9 Mavericks, it shows which applications require the "High Perf GPU". Inexplicably, Vienna (Version 3.0.0 Beta 18 :8c42af7:) is one of them.

I imagine this is just an oversight, right? Is there any reason why the High Perf GPU is forced always on when Vienna is running? Even if Vienna is hidden, the discrete graphics processor is turned on. It's the only app I've got running all the time that requires this. As soon as I quit Vienna, Activity Monitor reports that the discrete GPU is turned off and the system is running on only Integrated graphics.

Obviously, notebook users would love if Vienna didn't demand High Perf GPU always on, and only used it when it was needed (likely never?).

Regards,
Temple
Last edited by Temple on Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

barijaona
Vienna Team

Re: Vienna the Battery Hog: Why's High Perf GPU Always Requi

Postby barijaona » Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:22 am

Which Vienna version are you referring to ?
I contribute to Vienna RSS as a developer.
Please, don't forget those tips for writing a good bug report

Temple
Harmless

Postby Temple » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:26 am

Version 3.0.0 Beta 18 :8c42af7:

Temple
Harmless

Postby Temple » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:50 am

Ah, wait a tic:

https://developer.apple.com/library/mac ... TS40010791
Note: The NSSupportsAutomaticGraphicsSwitching key only works on the dual-GPU MacBook Pros that were shipped Early 2011 and after.

I've got a Mid-2010 MBP. Might want to have somebody with an Early 2011 or later MBP test this. Still, majority of my apps do not require the discrete GPU.

ozean
Latté

Postby ozean » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:07 pm

I don’t think it is an issue of switching to the discrete GPU. You can test this with an app called gfxCardStatus: https://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/33905/gfxcardstatus
My MBP at least stays on the integrated graphics card when vienna is running.
If it’s not the GPU, then I guess something else must be the reason. How often does Vienna update its feeds? How many do you subscribe to? Do you sync?

Echelon9
Latté

Postby Echelon9 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:01 am

Temple wrote:Ah, wait a tic:
I've got a Mid-2010 MBP. Might want to have somebody with an Early 2011 or later MBP test this. Still, majority of my apps do not require the discrete GPU.

I've tested on my 2011 MBP in OS X 10.9. Vienna does not required the discrete GPU (reported in Activity Monitor.app). It's happily running on integrated graphics, with the corresponding lower power drain.

So I think from a configurations and code perspective Vienna is doing all it can to utilise the lower power setting, but some hardware configurations may not be able to make use of this.

Return to “Vienna”