Bug? Vienna, pboard and Ram

An RSS/Atom newsreader with features comparable to commercial newsreaders.
BuddyBoy
Harmless

Bug? Vienna, pboard and Ram

Postby BuddyBoy » Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:52 am

Hi there,

I’ve been using Vienna for many years now, thank you for all the good work you put in this App.

Recently encountered a problem I never had before and that started after the last update (I think):

I noticed that quitting Apps took an unusually long time, sometimes 10-20 seconds. Also, other Apps became unresponsive during these seconds.
I checked Activity Monitor and discovered that a process called pboard hogged almost 4GB Ram. (I believe pboard is the clipboard daemon?).
I’m quite sure Vienna is responsible for this. The memory used by pboard increases by several MB with every feed refresh. When Vienna is closed, the memory used remains practically stable.

To resolve these issues, I tried the following at least twice:

• Quitting Vienna doesn’t help, the Ram Vienna was using gets cleared, pboard stays the same.
• Killing pboard via Activity Monitor while Vienna is running crashes the Computer.
• Killing pboard while Vienna is closed clears the Ram used by this process, everything else keeps running normal.
• Restarting the Mac helps.

I never restart my Mac except if a software update requires it, Vienna is also always running. Maybe this contributes to this behaviour.

I’m using Vienna 3.5.5 :817110fe: (7130)
Refresh is set to 5 minutes, articles are moved to trash after 1 day.
MacOS 10.13.6

I don't know if this behaviour with pboard is normal, but as I mentioned, I never noticed this until 2 or 3 months ago.
Maybe there's something that could be done about this.

slaterusa
Harmless

Re: Bug? Vienna, pboard and Ram

Postby slaterusa » Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:09 am

Oh man, I thought I was the only one? And I don't know if it's Vienna, but I've been encountering the exact same bug!

- pboard in activity monitor goes crazy
- everything else slows to a crawl, to the point where i can't even quit apps
- everything sorta-kinda resolves itself after ~30 seconds

Vienna 3.5.5 :817110fe: (7130)
MacOS 10.15.3 (19D76) - latest public non-beta of Catalina

BuddyBoy
Harmless

Postby BuddyBoy » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:17 am

Did you also observe pboard memory increasing directly after every feed refresh?

slaterusa
Harmless

Postby slaterusa » Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:56 pm

I didn't, cos my computer was too slammed.

though I do see pboard activity go up whenever i then relaunch Vienna and activity monitor running

Return to “Vienna”