Option for confirmation on closing window when there's....

An instant messenger which can connect to AIM, GTalk, Jabber, ICQ, and more.
hexstar
Harmless

Option for confirmation on closing window when there's....

Postby hexstar » Sat May 20, 2006 1:26 am

Hi, I love Adium, however from time to time I find myself accidently closing the chat window and this can be bad when for example, I have multiple active chats or a chatroom tabbed because then, especially in the case of chatrooms I have to explain what happened and ask to be reinvited...so I was wondering if it'd be possible for in the next version of Adium for an option to be made in the Preferences area to have Adium confirm that you want to close the chat window if you have more than one tab...is that possible? Please? Thanks! :)

hexstar
Harmless

Postby hexstar » Mon May 29, 2006 11:41 pm

*bump*

m2e
Mocha

Postby m2e » Mon May 29, 2006 11:47 pm

As far as i know noting is planned in terms of closing chat windows. In the next version though, there is a confirmation when you quit if there are unread messages or active file transfers.

hexstar
Harmless

Postby hexstar » Mon May 29, 2006 11:54 pm

Ah, but don't you think this'd be a good feature for when you have a bunch of tabs open and accidently click the X button to close the whole window containing all the tabs? I'm sure others have done such by mistake too and would enjoy this feature as well, no?

twopeak
Crema

Postby twopeak » Tue May 30, 2006 11:03 am

this has been discussed in several other topics.
In 1.0 there will be a confirmation dialog if you have unread messages or if you have a file transfer busy.

I don't think they plan to implement what you ask, and me personally wouldn't see a use to it. When i have several tabs i keep them all open untill i'm chatting with nobody anymore :P

hexstar
Harmless

Postby hexstar » Tue May 30, 2006 10:58 pm

Well yeah, I keep all tabs open in that case too, this feature would be to prevent the closure of all tabs in the event one makes a mistake and accidently clicks the X that closes the window and all tabs. Doesn't anyone else think it's a good idea to have the option to enable notification when the X is clicked if there are tabs open??? I can't believe no one else has made this mistake or thinks this is a good idea... :(

The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby The_Tick » Tue May 30, 2006 11:29 pm

Think about changing your habits to never closing tabs with the top left button, but use the button on the tabs.

Simba Cub
Crema

Postby Simba Cub » Wed May 31, 2006 12:55 am

twopeak wrote:this has been discussed in several other topics.
In 1.0 there will be a confirmation dialog if you have unread messages or if you have a file transfer busy.

That's very welcome news indeed! Top marks :cool:

Rich::

hexstar
Harmless

Postby hexstar » Wed May 31, 2006 2:42 am

The_Tick wrote:Think about changing your habits to never closing tabs with the top left button, but use the button on the tabs.
well it's not that that causes me to make this mistake, I tend to have alot of apps open at once, and so sometimes I'll accidently select Adium from the dock because the app I'd like to instead close is next to Adium on the dock and then I don't pay much attention to realize that I accidently brought up Adium instead of the intended app and I end up closing the window and all the tabs...

The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby The_Tick » Wed May 31, 2006 3:45 am

That's different than how I read you were closing the window.

John Don
Frappa

Postby John Don » Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:06 am

The_Tick wrote:That's different than how I read you were closing the window.

Yeah, it sounds like hexstar is quickly selecting Adium from the Dock, and then just as fast pressing Apple+W. A close window confirmation would be nice to have in regards to situations like that, but I suppose a little patience and paying attention to the app you are in goes a long way as well, lol.
I'm... kinda tired... I think I'll go home now.

-Forrest Gump

I'm an Adiumite!

Kepi
Latté

Postby Kepi » Thu Jun 01, 2006 5:06 pm

John Don wrote:Yeah, it sounds like hexstar is quickly selecting Adium from the Dock, and then just as fast pressing Apple+W.

Yeah, but part of hexstar's complaint is that all his tabs go with it, so he can't be using cmd-w because when there's multiple tabs, cmd-w will close only the current tab, not the window it's in.
- Jeff

Sirius
Latté

Postby Sirius » Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:38 am

I think this would be quite useful, and this feature is also implemented in Firefox (among other apps i'm sure).

If you were to close a window with multiple tabs in Firefox, you are asked to confirm that you really want to close x tabs. If there is only one tab it doesn't bother asking. The same deal if you quit. It asks for confirmation for each window with more than one tab.

I think the issue here is most apps we use each day don't require/use tabs (Photoshop, Word, iTunes, etc etc), and so we're used to closing the "visible contents of that window" by clicking on the red close button.
When we use an app with tabs however (Adium, Firefox, etc), we have to change the thinking that clicking the red close button doesn't only close what we can see, but also other stuff in that window that we don't see (because they're in other tabs).

When we're tired, busy, rushed, or otherwise slightly below our best (or have cold fingers and can't type properly...), we may not think that much and so accidently close the whole window when we only wanted to close one tab. I've personally done this many times, and Firefox (for example) saves time by asking you if you really want to close those 19 tabs you just spent the last 2 hours finding but haven't read.

So yes, a bit more caution is always helpful, but sometimes a second chance can be a lifesaver. I'm all for implementing a confirmation dialog when you close a window with multiple tabs.

The confirmation for quit when you have unread messages/active file transfers is quite a good idea too.

Just my 2¢~ :cool:

hexstar
Harmless

Postby hexstar » Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:50 am

Sirius wrote:I think this would be quite useful, and this feature is also implemented in Firefox (among other apps i'm sure).

If you were to close a window with multiple tabs in Firefox, you are asked to confirm that you really want to close x tabs. If there is only one tab it doesn't bother asking. The same deal if you quit. It asks for confirmation for each window with more than one tab.

I think the issue here is most apps we use each day don't require/use tabs (Photoshop, Word, iTunes, etc etc), and so we're used to closing the "visible contents of that window" by clicking on the red close button.
When we use an app with tabs however (Adium, Firefox, etc), we have to change the thinking that clicking the red close button doesn't only close what we can see, but also other stuff in that window that we don't see (because they're in other tabs).

When we're tired, busy, rushed, or otherwise slightly below our best (or have cold fingers and can't type properly...), we may not think that much and so accidently close the whole window when we only wanted to close one tab. I've personally done this many times, and Firefox (for example) saves time by asking you if you really want to close those 19 tabs you just spent the last 2 hours finding but haven't read.

So yes, a bit more caution is always helpful, but sometimes a second chance can be a lifesaver. I'm all for implementing a confirmation dialog when you close a window with multiple tabs.

The confirmation for quit when you have unread messages/active file transfers is quite a good idea too.

Just my 2¢~ :cool:
Heh you're right on :cool: , glad someone's in the same boat as me...and hopefully there are more people too so we can give this feature some weight and hopefully have it implemented :D :)

Rita
Frappa

Postby Rita » Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:22 pm

I'll toss my name into the ring of those who agree that this would be a nice feature. I was just waiting for someone more eloquent than I to explain why. :)

Is there a trac ticket open for this? Might be more useful for those who want this feature to post there instead.

hexstar
Harmless

Postby hexstar » Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:52 pm

Hmm...no I don't believe there is a trac ticket open for this...perhaps since I'm not sure how to go about doing that, would you please be so kind as to open a trac ticket for this feature request? Thanks, I'm glad this feature is finally getting some momentum! :) :D

The_Tick
Cocoaforge Admin

Postby The_Tick » Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:26 am

It will take you 2 minutes to learn how to do it, and you won't have to depend on others to do it for you. You should go take a look at how. The main trac page has a link on how to do it.

hexstar
Harmless

Postby hexstar » Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:26 am

Return to “Adium”